[CLOSED] Cakewalk 2021.01 Early Access

Morten Saether

First, thanks for the new version and your effort, Bakers!

I really appreciate these improvements (these are real time-savers):

1. Arranger section inclusion of outlying MIDI notes
  2. Instrument tracks: Phase/Interleave visible (very cool)
  3. Instrument tracks: New insert logic
  4. Export to Standard MIDI File now respects the selection.

Though I have the following questions, confusion:

To 1. : In my tests the outlying MIDI notes were copied with "duplicate", but NOT with copy paste. Is this intended?

To 4. : If I select and export a MIDI clip that does not begin at the start (001:01:000 ), then the exported MIDI file includes empty measures in front of the MIDI clip's data (maybe to ensure the same measure position). Is this intended? Otherwise I really like this improvement!

Really appreciate all your hard work.

Ozone 9 Elements was included in a project.  Project was saved. Reopen project, press play, hear a "thump", cursor moves, no sound, master is pinned at +6.  Attempt to delete Ozone 9 and other issues crop up.  I did not do much more research.

If project does not include Ozone 9, I can load it and then Ozone 9 Elements and it functions.

If I open project that includes Ozone 9 Elements by shift-open and skip Ozone 9 other issues crop up.

For now I'm returning to 11.2020.

FWIW.

42 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

Eu uso espaços de trabalho personalizados, mas ainda não testei os meus nesta versão. O que você quer dizer com "salvar a área de trabalho em perspectiva?" Obrigado.

ATUALIZAÇÃO: acabei de alterar um dos meus espaços de trabalho pessoais ["Console no monitor 2"] alterando as larguras dos 3 painéis / seções (trilhos, barramentos e hardware). Depois de salvá-lo, mudei para alguns outros espaços de trabalho. Quando recarreguei o espaço de trabalho recém-alterado, ele tinha as alterações de largura.

Obviamente, cada espaço de trabalho pessoal / personalizado depende das opções a serem salvas / restauradas. Você provavelmente tem opções diferentes selecionadas. Abaixo estão os que usei. Você provavelmente tem opções diferentes selecionadas. Existem muitas possibilidades para testar todas, mas estou interessado em descobrir se tenho o mesmo problema que você teve.

image.png.17f3945b550afd11a7d332c0885a16c8.png

I managed to solve by uninstalling and installing Cakewalk again. The problem was opening a new project with settings like the "inspector" and "browser" closed. After reinstalling again, everything went back to normal.

Capturar 1.PNG

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Steve Harder said:

Really appreciate all your hard work.

Ozone 9 Elements was included in a project.  Project was saved. Reopen project, press play, hear a "thump", cursor moves, no sound, master is pinned at +6.  Attempt to delete Ozone 9 and other issues crop up.  I did not do much more research.

If project does not include Ozone 9, I can load it and then Ozone 9 Elements and it functions.

If I open project that includes Ozone 9 Elements by shift-open and skip Ozone 9 other issues crop up.

For now I'm returning to 11.2020.

FWIW

Can you please share the specific project file with us?

15 hours ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

Even after the update, CbB is unusable. Type 1 audio dropouts every few seconds of playback, tweaking plugin parameters causes dropouts, sometimes pausing playback causes dropouts...In the current project I'm working, it takes me a few minutes to EQ a single track because you tweak a setting during playback, it causes a dropout, you go back play, then a random dropout occurs...I'm already running at the maximum latency I can.

It sounds as if it's time to consider a PC upgrade. I upgraded my PC hardware and built a new server last year (2020), it's been the best decision I've made... Cakewalk is a MONSTER - zero issues thus far. I'm currently mixing a project with over 87 tracks and massive amounts of heavy duty high quality plugins (zero dropouts, cpu usage barely reaches 14%). You'll find that having professional hardware (I/O devices, PC components, DSP device etc.) makes a massive difference in how any software performs. Cakewalk requires resources, and not having enough memory or an extremely fast CPU can limit your ability to use the software carefree (to it's fullest).

I say all this lightly, as I know from experience it's expensive to do. I saved up for years to get the hardware I longed for, so I know budgeting definitely plays a role.

Hi,

and thanks for the wonderful Cakewalk, which I have been using as of now for almost a year with a lot of fun.

I had to roll back on this last update because it's crashing very frequently, like every 2 o 3 minutes. It is also giving me problems with Korg Minilogue when using MIDI (like I have to reboot the Minilogue otherwise audio input won't work). 

My config is on Windows 10, Focusrite 2i4 (1st gen),  16Gb of RAM, i7 7700HQ. I don't have much disk space available though. I will post here ifI have problem even rolling back (but it doesn't seem like it). 

Keep up the good work!

Greetings to Cakewalk Team!

I use cakewalk since 1999! I love this DAW and even if i think there are other good software out there, I simply am unable to switch to another DAW...and don't need nor want to anyway. Cakewalk does the job marvelously! This being said, here's a suggestion...

-Bus Folders in the console and track view : Folders wich also act as an aux track or bus...with all the functions (like Reaper...sorry about that!)

-In the console view, putting  ''Delete Send'' , ''New Aux'' at the beginning of the scroll list when you want to delete a send from or add an aux to a track.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Logging into the forum has nothing to do with Cbb. You have to log in from CbB itself for in-app activation to work. If you have never logged in it wll prompt you the first time. An easy way to force it is to choose “Help / Refresh Activation”. This will ask for a login the first time and then activate again. Subsequent attempts wont ask for login again.

Thanks Noel.

OK. So that is done. I should never be asked for activation again? That sounds too easy! 👍

Just trying to understand. Activation was a login. Many different logins keep me a bit confused.

11 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

No activation is just an operation that requires login. So does connecting to bandlab to upload projects. 
We’ll also be adding more features in the future that are connected with your account. Activation was the first that uses SSO. 

I think I get it. As I don’t use the social end of the system at this time, I forget signing into Bandlab as yet another related space.

13 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Please note that the installer now tries to install a Microsoft Webview component that is used by CbB. This installer will download what it needs from Microsoft so if it appears to be stuck its likely due to a slow internet connection or internet connectivity issues. 

Thanks for this tidbit.  I believe it helps explain a CbB installation I had yesterday which I have never had before.  The installation seemed to hang for several minutes  (far more than the usual installation time) while the installation/extraction box was malformed (so I couldn't tell if there was any progress happening):

image.png.ad381c1ef3e8b3ef3eba121621e958ab.png

Eventually I looked at my go-to diagnostic tool of first resort (Task Manager) and saw these:

image.png.894c3b11c5a287a811fe546a64ea9df2.png

image.png.1ccd77af14a25a6307833c0519b37e7a.png

My internet connection is not slow, so I suspect maybe what you describe (re: Webview component) prompted my approx.-24-hours-old Win10 update to need MS Edge to be installed/updated.  Maybe a component was needed so the installation/extraction box will display properly next time.

Not sure if this was coincidental, but your behind-the-scenes tidbit seems to help explain my atypical experience with the CbB installer yesterday.

The CbB notification/toaster popup asking me if I wanted to install the EA update caused no issues for me.  That part of it (including asking me to shut down CbB and retry) was flawless.

UPDATE: I rolled back to 2020-11 and went through the update procedures twice.  Each time I had the malformed installer/progress box:

image.png.ba0140f73e7c094f5bf79723b5c91215.png

However, this time (presumably because I had already updated Edge), the installation only took 3-4 minutes (from the time I shut down CbB and said Retry to the time CbB started launching).  There were typical processes running (cryptograhic services, COM surrogate, MS shadow services, Volume services, etc.) that seemed to be reflected in the Windows Task Bar progress meter.

I made one more attempt to get the normal installation box after downloading the WebView2 *.cab for my PC and then running the Edge Update Link Jesse posted. Again, I got the malformed box but the update happened in 3-4 minutes.

Edited by User 905133

1 hour ago, User 905133 said:

Thanks for this tidbit.  I believe it helps explain a CbB installation I had yesterday which I have never had before.  The installation seemed to hang for several minutes  (far more than the usual installation time) while the installation/extraction box was malformed (so I couldn't tell if there was any progress happening):

image.png.ad381c1ef3e8b3ef3eba121621e958ab.png

Eventually I looked at my go-to diagnostic tool of first resort (Task Manager) and saw these:

image.png.894c3b11c5a287a811fe546a64ea9df2.png

image.png.1ccd77af14a25a6307833c0519b37e7a.png

My internet connection is not slow, so I suspect maybe what you describe (re: Webview component) prompted my approx.-24-hours-old Win10 update to need MS Edge to be installed/updated.  Maybe a component was needed so the installation/extraction box will display properly next time.

Not sure if this was coincidental, but your behind-the-scenes tidbit seems to help explain my atypical experience with the CbB installer yesterday.

The CbB notification/toaster popup asking me if I wanted to install the EA update caused no issues for me.  That part of it (including asking me to shut down CbB and retry) was flawless.

Thanks. This installer is a one time thing and subsequent updates wont need to do this. We’ll look into the truncated text, We’ve already changed it so the webview install is no longer silent.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Thanks. This installer is a one time thing and subsequent updates wont need to do this. We’ll look into the truncated text, We’ve already changed it so the webview install is no longer silent.

Thanks.  Your reply  came in as I was typing the last line in the UPDATE to my post. I can live with the malformed installer box now that I know the process isn't hanging. 

7 hours ago, Sébastien Langlois said:

Greetings to Cakewalk Team!

I use cakewalk since 1999! I love this DAW and even if i think there are other good software out there, I simply am unable to switch to another DAW...and don't need nor want to anyway. Cakewalk does the job marvelously! This being said, here's a suggestion...

-Bus Folders in the console and track view : Folders wich also act as an aux track or bus...with all the functions (like Reaper...sorry about that!)

-In the console view, putting  ''Delete Send'' , ''New Aux'' at the beginning of the scroll list when you want to delete a send from or add an aux to a track.

Requests are to be placed in the Feedback Loop Section (click here)

This thread is for feedback on the EA.

Two vst3 synths "TyrellN6" and "OP-X Pro II" when trying to open them through the browser, the Cakewalk is closed. The "OP-X Pro II" when I try to open through "Insert> Soft Synth" the same thing happens. I used these synths normally, however, after I updated the Cakewalk, it started showing this problem.

Edited by Herbert Zio

26 minutes ago, Herbert Zio said:

Two vst3 synths "TyrellN6" and "OP-X Pro II" when trying to open them through the browser, the Cakewalk is closed. The "OP-X Pro II" when I try to open through "Insert> Soft Synth" the same thing happens. I used these synths normally, however, after I updated the Cakewalk, it started showing this problem.

What alway works for me:

Move your DLL or Vst3 files to your Desktop and scan your Vst folders. When that is done - move the two file back to the paths it was installed in scan your Vst Folders again. If this dont work for me a re-install of the problem plugins or CbB does.