Audio interface died. Input needed.

Shane_B.

I have the RME UFX (original version) bought it almost 9 years ago to the day (1/21/2012).

I later added two RME OctaMic II lightpipe modules giving me a total 20 high end mic preamps and 8 line inputs.

I use 16 mic preamps for my live drum set and 2 mic preamps for my bass rig (which I've not recorded ye, but soon....)

Edited by Bapu
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Bapu said:

I have the RME UFX (original version) bought it almost 9 years ago to the day (1/21/2012).

I later added two RME OctaMic II lightpipe modules giving me a total 20 high end mic preamps and 8 line inputs.

I use 16 mic preamps for my live drum set and 2 mic preamps for my bass rig (which I've not recorded ye, but soon....)

Nice! Do they keep up with drivers even on older stuff, or have they just not been an issue?

I'd still be using the Fast Track Ultra if the drivers worked. Heck, I loved my EMU-0404 and would still be using it if I could. Bitflipper, CJ, and I got in to a lengthy discussion about that well over a decade ago regarding it's 192k capabilities and why I thought it sounded better. 😁

On 1/15/2021 at 1:08 PM, Shane_B. said:

Nice! Do they keep up with drivers even on older stuff, or have they just not been an issue?

I don't recall having to update drivers specifically to move from Win 7 to Win 10. Occasionally I check to see if there are updated drivers, but never for a problem.

This unit has been rock solid for me. It (and the Octa Mic II units) along with my latest I9 build are the cornerstone of my modern recording environment.

Intel I9 10900K processor O.C. 5.0GHz, Asus Prime Z490-A mobo, Gigabyte HD 5450 Fanless Video, 128Gb DDR3200 RAM

1TB - SSD Boot Drive, 8TB - Sample Drive, 2TB - Project Drive

2 x UAD USB Octo Satellites

Edited by Bapu
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, 57Gregy said:

When my DAW died a couple years ago, my brother gave me his old computer with the 0404 installed.
Still using it.

It's a great card. I've already decided to return the 1810c when it arrives and check out the 68c because it's quite a bit less. Getting some flack at home over my recent bought of GAS. Would have been nice to have all the inputs on the front and not have to mess with a harness for midi but I'm lucky to be getting what I am so I can't complain. I just realized my current Firestudio Mobile is 11 years old. It was a good run. 👍

The 1810c arrived today. It's actually brand new. Box still factory sealed, everything in original unopened packaging. There's 1 left on Amazon fella's ... Now that I see this is brand new and at a great price it's super hard to walk away from. Uhg. I need to get one of those things, what do they call it? It starts with a 'J'? 🙄😁

On 1/14/2021 at 10:51 AM, John Maar said:

My new 1810c is arriving tomorrow, so I can't review it yet, but I expect it function as a worthy successor to AudioBox 44VSL (that stopped being a VSL when Win10 shipped; I've had it a long time). I bought it on Amazon on Monday. The price then was $399. So, you're getting a suprise deal!

I'm really looking forward to having 2 headphone drivers that support different mixes. That'll be fantastic for my niece and I doing voice-overs.

Have you had a chance to test your 1810c? I'm experiencing the same thing as I read about ... no stereo monitoring. This can't be right. Everything is coming through the headphones in mono and I see no setting anywhere to change it.

On 1/14/2021 at 10:51 AM, John Maar said:

My new 1810c is arriving tomorrow, so I can't review it yet, but I expect it function as a worthy successor to AudioBox 44VSL (that stopped being a VSL when Win10 shipped; I've had it a long time). I bought it on Amazon on Monday. The price then was $399. So, you're getting a suprise deal!

I'm really looking forward to having 2 headphone drivers that support different mixes. That'll be fantastic for my niece and I doing voice-overs.

11 hours ago, Shane_B. said:

Have you had a chance to test your 1810c? I'm experiencing the same thing as I read about ... no stereo monitoring. This can't be right. Everything is coming through the headphones in mono and I see no setting anywhere to change it.

Edit: I think I got it figured out. See post below.

Edited by Shane_B.

It output in mono even though it's set to stereo 3 times in a row now. It's going back tomorrow. There hasn't been any updates in over a year so I'm guessing it's at the end of life so I'm going to send it back while I can. It's a nice unit, it's too bad. 

I have an rme ucx. It has been sufficient for me, but I've wondered about a ufx over the years. I can record 24 tracks at a time sync'd to my tascam 2488. I can record 16 tracks at 48khz without the tascam. It's a lot of fun and definitely pans channels. Digicheck is a cool bit of software that comes with it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Shane_B. said:

It output in mono even though it's set to stereo 3 times in a row now. It's going back tomorrow. There hasn't been any updates in over a year so I'm guessing it's at the end of life so I'm going to send it back while I can. It's a nice unit, it's too bad. 

Scratch that for now. I think I figured the problem out. UC installs a ton of extra stuff by default. After much digging around on the net I found a review on Sweetwater's site that said doing the default install will cause all kinds of trouble.

So I uninstalled UC and reinstalled with just the USB Studio generic driver and it's been working great. I also switched it to my USB-C port and the dropouts aren't there when set to Medium unless I move the O9A VST Windows around. For such a plain generic looking plugin it sure is a resource hog. OMG.

I did have it plugged in to a USB 3.0 port. The manual says it the 1810c supports USB 2.0. I tried moving it to the USB-C port on my PC just for the heck of it and it did make a difference. I only have 2 ports on my PC that support USB 3.1 and the C port is one of them. I don't have anything connected to the other 3.1 port so maybe that's why? I don't know. I do miss FW though. It performed significantly better.

Glad I got this problem figured out. It's a really nice interface. I can deal with setting the dropout protection higher, now I have to test input latency later. 👍

6 hours ago, Gswitz said:

I have an rme ucx. It has been sufficient for me, but I've wondered about a ufx over the years. I can record 24 tracks at a time sync'd to my tascam 2488. I can record 16 tracks at 48khz without the tascam. It's a lot of fun and definitely pans channels. Digicheck is a cool bit of software that comes with it.

I looked at RME interfaces but they are way above my budget unfortunately. But I am absolutely sold on FW. The UCX runs on USB or FW400. I did my research before I set up my old Firestudio Mobile. I got a FW card that is powered directly from the PSU not the Mobo with the proper chipset driver. Presonus has a list of chipsets they tested with their devices so I looked for FW cards based on a chipset they tested. I never had a problem and always had ultra low latency. I absolutely see a huge difference between FW and USB 2.0. 

That 2488 is a nice unit. I saw a few for sale used at a great price. 

I gave the Studio 1810c a thorough workout last night. I got the kinks worked out and it's working well so far.

Here's what it took to get the 'mono output only' and 'latency problems' fixed ...

1. Uninstall current version of Universal Control for old interface.

2. Download and install the latest Universal Control for this model and deselect everything except the box marked "Studio USB". By default every interface this UC covers is installed and if you rush through the install and leave everything selected it causes problems.

3. Use a USB-C port if you have it. Mine supports up to USB 3.1. The way I understand how USB ports work it's not supposed to make a difference because the 1810c uses USB 2.0 but it did. I tried it in a USB 3.0 port and I had better results from the USB 3.1/USB-C port in regard to how many VST's I could run and still maintain a reasonable live recording latency.

4. Do as many Win10 tweaks as you can. Particularly the USB power stuff. Here's a good Win10 DAW Tweak article.

After I did all that it's been working great in S1 and CbB. Better in CbB to be honest in regard to latency, on my PC. 👍

My tascam recently became poop on a rope.  All audio worked as a standalone, but no USB joy.

The culprit was the usb daughter-board. Got it replaced, and bob's yer uncle.

Edited by jm52
  • Like 1