Sidechaining still causes crashing in Cakewalk. Issue dates back years; still no fix?

AxlBrutality

8 hours ago, spiffo said:

OK, I fixed it!

The fact that it was happening on one Project but not the other when I was using all the same Plugins and essentially the same Working Method as well, got me thinking that there must be something slightly different!

I started by deleting a bunch of unused Audio and MIDI Tracks, that didn't help. Then I spotted an old unused 'External Insert' on a completely unrelated Audio Track to the one with the RCompressor or the one with the Send to the Compressor's Side Chain.

The 'External Insert' was turned OFF in the FX Rack (as I had stopped using it) but NOT Deleted. I deleted it and BINGO, Cakewalk stopped crashing and Side Chaining started working again!

Do you still have the project that crashes? If so please send it to me.

Noel, I'm trying to but it even crashes when I'm trying to save it in the state where it will crash if you press the Play Button!

I may have to send it with instructions on what to do to make it crash?

Edited by spiffo

I've fixed the crash that @spiffo reported to me. Thanks for your assistance and diligence in getting me a project. There was a potential race condition that could cause a crash when a sidechain was created under certain routing conditions. This is why it was so intermittent and only affected some people. In his project he had a synth track sidechaining to a compressor in another track. It also seemed more likely to happen if there were multiple synth tracks sourced by the same synth output.

The take away from this is for problems like this its very important to try and get a repro and send us a dump/project. Its only because of spiffo's project that I was able to fix this issue. There are so many environmental permutations that it can be very hard for us to replicate or notice some of these problems.

• Like 3

• 4 years later...

Holy crap, this is it. I've been having this weird audio dropout issue for over a year now where sidechaining (usually kick to bass, as is the most common use lol) has been causing the audio to crack fizzle and then dropout while the transport continues (thus not triggering a dropout error message) and I've had no idea what causes it until today finally realizing that it's happening when doing a sidechain send.

For the longest time I was thinking it was just Addictive Drums 2 doing it, but as it turns out, it's just when I sidechain, for instance my kick bus to my bass bus. I usually use Sonitus Compressor since that's kind of The Certified Cakewalk Sidechain Comp™ but I just replicated it again with Kilohearts and Fabfilter's compressors as well. Glad I finally found the culprit, absolutely devastated to find out this has been an unresolved issue for years though.

I'll keep it real Bandlab, we ain't paying for **** until you fix this lmao

• Like 1
  • Meh 1

6 hours ago, Tomo SZN said:

Holy crap, this is it. I've been having this weird audio dropout issue for over a year now where sidechaining (usually kick to bass, as is the most common use lol) has been causing the audio to crack fizzle and then dropout while the transport continues (thus not triggering a dropout error message) and I've had no idea what causes it until today finally realizing that it's happening when doing a sidechain send.

For the longest time I was thinking it was just Addictive Drums 2 doing it, but as it turns out, it's just when I sidechain, for instance my kick bus to my bass bus. I usually use Sonitus Compressor since that's kind of The Certified Cakewalk Sidechain Comp™ but I just replicated it again with Kilohearts and Fabfilter's compressors as well. Glad I finally found the culprit, absolutely devastated to find out this has been an unresolved issue for years though.

I'll keep it real Bandlab, we ain't paying for **** until you fix this lmao

"We"?

Do you speak for everyone?

17 hours ago, Tomo SZN said:

I've been having this weird audio dropout issue for over a year now where sidechaining (usually kick to bass, as is the most common use lol) has been causing the audio to crack fizzle and then dropout while the transport continues (thus not triggering a dropout error message) and I've had no idea what causes it until today finally realizing that it's happening when doing a sidechain send.

You should start your own thread to investigate this. If you read the whole thing, you should know this was for a specific case that has been resolved. Do you get corresponding spikes in the Performance Meter with the crackles? What ASIO buffer size? If 128 samples or more, try enabling/disabling Plugin Load Balancing in Preferences > Audio > Playback and Recording - sometimes having it enabled costs more than it benefits.

In general, I can't replicate your issue; sidechaining an instance of Sonitus compressor costs almost nothing.

21 hours ago, Tomo SZN said:

Holy crap, this is it. I've been having this weird audio dropout issue for over a year now where sidechaining (usually kick to bass, as is the most common use lol) has been causing the audio to crack fizzle and then dropout while the transport continues

////////

I just replicated it again with Kilohearts and Fabfilter's compressors as well. Glad I finally found the culprit, absolutely devastated to find out this has been an unresolved issue for years though.

Fantastic that you can repro it! 👍 You can actually contribute to getting the problem fixed once and for all. :)

To quote Noel (from two posts above yours):

"The take away from this is for problems like this its very important to try and get a repro and send us a dump/project."

• Like 2