Quantum Vibe _ New cakewalk User (Contains Language that may offend)

whoisp

Hi Fellow CWBL users

Quantum Vibe is my 4th song (soundtrack) using cakewalk and by the way, cakewalk is the first and only DAW i've used ever, so i new user, faster learning curve, so go easy. Read below video for my quick run down with my DAW hardware, software system and tracks used etc 

I am school in reality, moved over from a 20 odd yr old Boss 8 track. I would say i am a songwriter producer type that try's to sing, play a faith acoustic, bit of lead guitar on old strat and jazz box (hooks etc) keys full size midi Yamaha, 4 string custom bass collection and couple of decent mics. I've gone with a Behringer UMC 1820  interface as i was on a budget and looking at best possible value to get a stable home studio for under £1000. The only plugin i have paid for is Addictive drums 2 on black Friday, i saved a fortune and im still getting use to programming them. The rest are free plugins and FX  what come with CWBL. 

NB: this is long 10min Soundtrack with lots of tracks (50 approx) to experiment with FX, buses, creating beats, sound fx, riser FX, vocals, some bass and lead guitar etc to see what my hardware DAW setup can take with playback and record. I would probably will never do a song this long and this many tracks again with heavy FX!  This is first time i've tried a trance or dance type sound track but a friend asked, so the experiment went ok.   I Just normally song write my own style guitar based, that is influence by all music from,  indie, rock, RnB blues and funk to hip-hop etc 

HARDWARE on windows 10

PC AMD Ryzen 5 2500X Quad 3.6GHZ
16GB Ram

1 TB Drive for storage: Western Digital WD10EZEX Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache SATA 6.0 GB/s 3.5 inch - Performance and reliability for each day computing Ultra cool and quiet and can run less important software like word and email.

To run the DAW software and OS i use a  solid state drive WD Green SSD WDS120G2G0A - - 120 GB - SATA 6Gb/s  600Mb a second which is better for audio and video, realty i got it cheap and probably would have gone bigger and faster if i had the money!

NB: Best to do a CWBL project (soundtrack song etc) on your fast drive (solid state drive), then move to your big TB storage drive once you mastered and finished your sound track to keep space free on your fast drive.  You can fill up 120GB quite fast, so better to have two drives and maybe a external drive, i also have a 120GB USB2 drive to transfer stuff. Not telling anyone to suck eggs, this are just tips and what i did for under 1K. 

The PC DAW system i built with UMC 1820 interface (8 in/outs, 48 phantom and i use the Spdif which is a good feature)  extra USB and midi cables, some new Sony MDR 7506 Headphones (on offer at the time) and all software (windows AD drums 2) cost under £1000 which was my budget! So you can build a good system under £1000 that runs CWBL well. Admitted i Already have dual monitor display, old Audio monitors with a little bass bin and Studio beat II headphones for testing which i find good for tracking vocals.  i compare the monitor speakers and the beats II with the Sony MDR 7506 with mixing and mastering for testing different outputs to get a realistic balance, that how i do mastering and mixing.

Behringer UMC 1820 record buffer i set at 256 samples so the effective latency  at 44khz 5.8Msec is pretty good ASIO driver, playback with lots of tracks i go up to 1024 for mixing and mastering sometimes. 

I guess  latency is the issue most people have with recording vocals or guitar etc having echo with monitor in CWBL, can be a issue which takes some messing with CWBL drivers and settings, bouncing down sections or full tracks with effects etc help to reduce load on PC, this pc handled it all. I record at 44Khz 24bit with 64 engine, to be honest you cant hear anything past 22Khz and most people can't hear 18Khz. The Behringer UMC 1820 runs stable ay 44Khz which is studio quality. Yes you can go up to 48Khz or 96Khz so you can zoom in to EQ frequencies from the digital quantisation having better parameters to manipulate unwanted noise or hum etc but can put m ore load on the PC.  Hay but i'm not Sony, i don't have Sony money or the time and the only benefit is better manipulation but if your recording is good in the first place it don't matter that much! You don't really get better quality of sound!

Anyone hope you like the Vibe. There is a few more songs on my channel that are totally different, but shows you when i started playing and recording music in 2014 on old 8 track to the last 4 songs on You-tube are DAW,  still getting use to DAW Whoisp recording Artist

@whoisp Please note I added the Contains Language that may offend, we have minors use this site and there are other users that may find some of the lyrics in this offensive, if future please state in the title if your music contains such.

As to the track sounds like a four to the floor club EDM, mix sounds reasonable here though it does not quite have that dance floor thud in the bottom end.

Sorry Wookiee, totally forgot with  Language and only a couple of bits with vocals.  

The master edit audio as some sub thud but seems to be lost in the video mpeg edit conversion, my error rushing with export settings and my beat headphones tell lies to my ears. The Spotify iTunes etc master track will have some more thud when i get round to it. New to cakewalk and my band-lab and cakewalk discuss emails were wrong so didn't get notified, all sorted now. 

Didn't realise band-lab had mastering to compare to my attempts or some royalty sounds play with or the features artists, where i been, not enough hours in the day.   Sorry again P

• Like 1

Cheers Jack, not normally my thing but i like experimenting and i am getting into doing sound tracks messing with video editing.  Then i will sort of rock or funk it up, love messing with styles, Unfortunalty i want to finish a song and move on to another asap, but at least im finishing them these days 

Hi

This could be a good track  - it  definitely needs more in the kick / sub department and  to me it sounds a bit toppy. I've done a bit of mixing on some dance stuff and its really important i think to get those basic building blocks rock solid. EDM is pretty formulaic i feel  and thumbing bottom end is very important.

Get those kicks thumbing and a bit of a remix,  you could have a good track on your hands

Nigel

• Like 1

Yes the original is Wave 24bit- 44.1 you can hear more of a thud and sub, less top end too.  Video mpeg audio settings i was to generous for streaming. I should have also used my Sony headphones and not the beats when doing the video edit, the studio beat II really do give bottom end some thud, my mistake, lessons.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bajan Blue said:

Hi

This could be a good track  - it  definitely needs more in the kick / sub department and  to me it sounds a bit toppy. I've done a bit of mixing on some dance stuff and its really important i think to get those basic building blocks rock solid. EDM is pretty formulaic i feel  and thumbing bottom end is very important.

Get those kicks thumbing and a bit of a remix,  you could have a good track on your hands

Nigel

You have some beautiful vibes and your videos im liking, the vocalist peaceful  vibe that brings you in.  Yes my track was a totally  experiment, I've never written anything like that before, was totally to explore cakewalk as ive never used a daw until the last 4 songs so big learning curve moving over from a old 8 track, so everything is new haha.  You will probably like my last song, casting spells but i am liking sort of creating sound tracks