Ripple editing can cause unexpected results ...

According to CbB documentation: "Caution: Ripple editing can cause unexpected results when editing multiple tracks, so use caution and check the results before you proceed with additional edits." Source: http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Arranging.22.html

Recently I have used ripple editing to edit 4 track podcasts  but not so much to cut sections of bigger projects. Everyting seems to work perfectly but the documentation hints of possible problems. What's your experience with ripple editing? Can you trust it without checking results and making backups every time? How does it deal with varying time signatures and tempo maps, stretched clips, audiosnap enabled tracks, frozen tracks etc.?

Ripple editing has been a godsend to me, but until they added the visible on/off button recently, it was confusing if you forgot that it was on while doing edits.  I've found that it moves everything except automation envelopes, at least, I haven't figured that out, yet.  It can be configured.  It has saved me much time by filling in large holes without cutting and pasting.  Overall, my editing techniques may be simpler than some, but this was one of the better additions for my needs.

• Like 2

I've only used it twice in projects that consisted mostly of frozen instrument tracks with a few regular audio tracks. First time it seemed to have worked ok until I had cause to unfreeze some of the frozen synths when it soon became apparent that while the frozen audio had moved the underlying midi had not. The second time I tried it also moved the midi, so in my very limited experience so far it's a 50% success rate. Maybe some kind of pilot error first time out, but not sure how it could be. I figured that select all would do exactly that, but it one case it didn't. Both in last version of Platinum btw, can't speak for the bandlab version.

• Like 1

Well, Ripple Edit caused unexpected result: it crashed Cakewalk.

I forgot to turn off Ripple Edit All and deleted some audio clips during playback. Then I noticed that too many clips were deleted (before remembering it was on). I hit Ctrl-Z to undo and deleted clip again. This time Cakewalk crashed. 

Advice: do not ripple edit when playback is on!

6 hours ago, Jaime Ramírez said:

2 Things... :

1- The Markers not move in the Ripple Edit (That can be a real improve) 

2- The "Midi Loops" are a totally mess with this function.. 

I think people forget about the slide function, which can move markers and other data in either direction by whatever time source you choose.  Sometimes it's more useful than ripple editing in certain situations.  As for MIDI loops, I know nothing, but try the slide function, just in case.

• Great Idea 1

When ripple editing, remember that clips locked in time will are not affected by ripple editing. This should be obvious but at least I forget to unlock all clips every now and then before ripple editing only to find later that I have messed the project.  This happens more often if the project is long there are locked clips outside the visible area of the track view.

• Like 1