Outlaw - latest progrock release

Rick Lang

As per title. Latest release. Drums, recording and mixing in CWbBL by yours truly. You might recognize the guitarist from the old Japan tours with Majestic and Time Requiem (with Wildoer (James La Brie) and Lövgren (Meshuggah)). This is a different constellation though.

Edited by Rick Lang
  • Like 3

For me the vocal is a tad buried but I suspect that is part of the genre, The mix feels a little push to the wall, but again I suspect it part of the genre, it does result in the small piano break around the 2:00 mark getting a little lost in the mix.  Other wise it sounds much as I would expect here on the Adam's.

11 minutes ago, Wookiee said:

For me the vocal is a tad buried but I suspect that is part of the genre, The mix feels a little push to the wall, but again I suspect it part of the genre, it does result in the small piano break around the 2:00 mark getting a little lost in the mix.  Other wise it sounds much as I would expect here on the Adam's.

Yep. The client (or songwriter) is always right (or not). I wanted the lead vox a bit higher actually, but had to keep them here due to artistic reasons. LUFS around -12 btw.

Thanks for input.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jack c. said:

great recording job,voice,instruments!what vst plugins on guitar are ya using?jack c.

This time a modded Steve Vai combo from THU (Overloud). Dubbed multiple times of course.

Previous releases were ENGL Fireball from Amplitube: 

https://open.spotify.com/track/4cse0HyUUq6dBWVBPF4b7l?si=vZQYjAW7SkiefWUQgALqAw

Edited by Rick Lang

As @Wookiee mentioned, the vocals are buried into the mix and that makes them sort of unintelligible, especially if you're not that familiar with the English language. One thing I'll also mention is that, for me at least, the song looks like it was supposed to have that large sound but everything is so compressed that it ended up sounding small. If everything is massive, nothing is massive. I presume that is a genre thing?

5 hours ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

As @Wookiee mentioned, the vocals are buried into the mix and that makes them sort of unintelligible, especially if you're not that familiar with the English language. One thing I'll also mention is that, for me at least, the song looks like it was supposed to have that large sound but everything is so compressed that it ended up sounding small. If everything is massive, nothing is massive. I presume that is a genre thing?

As I wrote to Wookie, end client's/songwriters request. But to elaborate: the vocals are three pieces. Verse is run through a bus with an amplifier, since it should sound crushed and "quasi-radio-like" (or buried if you like). Prechorus is supposed to be clean. Chorus is the third pieces, also run via the same bitcrusher/amp, but less so than verse. 

1 minute ago, Rick Lang said:

As I wrote to Wookie, end client's/songwriters request. But to elaborate: the vocals are three pieces. Verse is run through a bus with an amplifier, since it should sound crushed and "quasi-radio-like" (or buried if you like). Prechorus is supposed to be clean. Chorus is the third pieces, also run via the same bitcrusher/amp, but less so than verse. 

It's okay. It's okay that they're wrong.

I've been listening to this song for the last few days, and I like it better each time I hear it.  I think it might be a little over-compressed, but that's just my taste.  The whole mix could be made louder without compromising the dynamic range, but that would require a total remix.  All in all, it's a good song that a little extra effort could make into a stellar mix.