IK Multimedia UNO Synth Pro

cclarry

For an analog synth, those knobs (8) look fairly sparse... 🙄

Would have anticipated a front panel more like this...

minibrute-2-front.jpg

1. VCO 1
2. VCO 2
3. Oscillator Mixer
4. Steiner-Parker Multimode Filter
5. 4 Stage Envelope
6. Brute Factor™
7. AD Envelope
8. Patchbay
9. Two LFOs

Edited by abacab

The larger version has a Fatar bed with full size semi-weighted keys, metal housing, and is capable of creating sounds like a ton of sought-after analog synths while also having its own personality.  This isn't some one-hit clone made by boot camp workers in China, it's a quality analog synth with a ton of value made in Italy and we're still working with Soundmachines which is a huge deal too.  Check out the Made in Italy video for more on that front (below) and there's a Luca Zabbini performance that really shows what UNO Synth Pro can achieve

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

The larger version has a Fatar bed with full size semi-weighted keys, metal housing, and is capable of creating sounds like a ton of sought-after analog synths while also having its own personality.  This isn't some one-hit clone made by boot camp workers in China, it's a quality analog synth with a ton of value made in Italy and we're still working with Soundmachines which is a huge deal too.  Check out the Made in Italy video for more on that front (below) and there's a Luca Zabbini performance that really shows what UNO Synth Pro can achieve

Are you sure is a good idea to exult the qualities of your own products by engaging into corporate tribalism? Those so called "one-hit clones made by boot camp workers in China" ran circles around the Uno Synth when it came out on top of costing less.

20 hours ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

it's a quality analog synth with a ton of value made in Italy

Not always a good thing, I bought a Crumar synth once - quality/reliability wise it was a pile o shite and everyone knows that FIAT stands for.....Fix It Again Toni, 😀

My opinion is that the "soul" of an analog synthesizer is best accessed via knobs. You can reach into the heart of the machine by having a dedicated knob for most internal functions, and tweak and play with the sound in real-time.

You can likely achieve incredible analog sound quality with today's technology, but if you lose your "soul" in the process, what are you really gaining?

I think that is what I find most annoying about digital synths, with their clean looking panels and multi-function buttons. Menu diving on a LCD screen is not my idea of making music. VSTi plug-in instruments have brought back some of that tactile experience via controller mappings with knobs and sliders, and having direct access to internal synth parameters.

But with the price tag for analog hardware such as it is, I would want a synth with a more tactile experience. IMHO. I would probably be inclined to spend the money on a better controller.

• Like 1

I'll also add to what I said that the whole "one-hit clone" comment is very hypocritical considering IK is essentially copying the Arturia Microfreak with the smaller Uno Synth Pro. The Microfreak costs 50 bucks less and has polyphonic aftertouch, which neither version of the Uno Pro have, as I don't believe Fatar makes keybeds with polyphonic aftertouch.

• 2 weeks later...

We aren't making clones, you're off on that sorry.  UNO Synth is acclaimed for what it is not what it emulates while UNO Synth Pro can sound like many synths it absolutely has a sound of its own.

Check out this video for more of how it sounds, and I'm sorry that my comment may have hit a bit too close to home for you - do you work at the camp or for the U-man?  Or just a fan of clones and companies that are in the headlines for human rights violations and such?

On 1/13/2021 at 9:12 PM, Fleer said:

Would the Uno Pro have gone through the hands (and mind) of Erik Norlander, the man behind the infamous Alesis Andromeda (and IK’s Syntronik)?

Yes, he did our NAMM presentation as well as the interview with the incredible folks from SSI (whose chip is used for one of the UNO Synth Pro's filters).

Erik's presentation for NAMM 2021:

His interview with SSI founders Dave Rossum and Dan Parks:

• Like 1