OMF doesn't save levels and panning

Jonathan Lindsay

Question

Exporting as OMF to share across platforms (and even among BandLab users).

When exporting as OMF two things are happening that are really frustrating:

1) All panning and volume settings are reset to 0/center

2) tracks that have breaks in them come back in as "overlap tracks" creating headaches of multiple tracks.

I think the second can be solved with freezing tracks before exporting but the panning issue is a real bother.

Any solutions? Thank you!

3 answers to this question

i've not used OMF much before, but freezing the track so the panning is embedded in a stereo track audio clip - it creates a stereo clip out of a mono track and the panning levels are embedded in the clip. i tried it with splitting other tracks and it seemed ok but maybe the export processing bounced them?

i would recommend (like any project sharing effort) to bounce tracks to single clips which are then stretched to align on time 0, save the project as a new version of itself to a new folder so only the actual in-use tracks are copied, then export to OMF from there. this would also provide opportunity to change clip sample rates, bit depth etc for your sharing partner.

• Like 1

JL, did you ever figure this out? The first .omf I exported and opened in Pro Tools worked flawlessly. Since then, however, when I create an .omf, and open it the pans and volumes are reset to flat. Even when I try to open in Cakewalk.