Octane Plugin $9.99 USD - 240+ Presets -- Has Anyone Used It?

PavlovsCat

It's technically not on sale, but I just saw an ad for a VST I've never heard of before called Octane (and searched the forum and didn't find a single mention) aimed at musicians who make hip-hop and was thinking of picking it up for my son. Has anyone here used it or know of the developer? Is it any good? 240+ presets and it sounds decent in the videos and demos and is only $9.99 -- before I show it to my son I was hoping to get some feedback. I just know after buying AIR plugins that are a disaster to install, even if a plugin is cheap, it's not much of a deal if you can't get it to work. 

https://sonicsounds.com/octane

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Doug Rintoul said:

Looks like a Rompler with a few bells and whistles added. Not the game changer described in the videos.

What problems are you have with AIR plugins?

I installed one I picked up for like 5 or 10 bucks -- I forgot which one, I own a bunch and I've never installed any of them until last weekend -- on my son's PC I think it was Xpand!2 -- and it crashed Windows 10 and I had to do a rollback to get the computer working again. AIR had a thread about it at KVR, a rep said it's a known problem in a thread from the middle of last year and that you should just choose the option to not install PACE and just install PACE later (he claimed that the company would soon release a fix, which hasn't happened in the half a year that has since passed). Except that wasn't an option. Consequently, I own around 7 licenses for their plugins -- never installed any of them -- and I'm now extremely hesitant to install any of them after that experience. And if you do searches, you can find AT LEAST hundreds of posts in the various forums of people with identical problems with AIR and Sonivox plugins (owned by the same parent company and they have mostly been coded a decade or more ago and not had regular updates).  

1 hour ago, PavlovsCat said:

I installed one I picked up for like 5 or 10 bucks -- I forgot which one, I own a bunch and I've never installed any of them until last weekend -- on my son's PC I think it was Xpand!2 -- and it crashed Windows 10 and I had to do a rollback to get the computer working again. AIR had a thread about it at KVR, a rep said it's a known problem in a thread from the middle of last year and that you should just choose the option to not install PACE and just install PACE later (he claimed that the company would soon release a fix, which hasn't happened in the half a year that has since passed). Except that wasn't an option. Consequently, I own around 7 licenses for their plugins -- never installed any of them -- and I'm now extremely hesitant to install any of them after that experience. And if you do searches, you can find AT LEAST hundreds of posts in the various forums of people with identical problems with AIR and Sonivox plugins (owned by the same parent company and they have mostly been coded a decade or more ago and not had regular updates).  

I have had the PACE problem with Sonivox plugins, specifically VocalizerPro, and some of the Orchestral Companions I think. I have not had any PACE problems with Air plugins (and yes I know they are now owned by the same company) mainly because I did not install ILOK with the installer(note it is not an option to not install with the SONIVOX plugins). 

However, once the plugins are installed, they work well for me. Xpand!2 is actually pretty comprehensive as is Structure even if they do have a rather archaic interfaces. 

• 3 years later...

I know this thread is old but I just recently got ads for Octane on Instagram too and so I had a look at it. Currently $20 for Octane Complete, which is Octane plus all the soundbanks that they have for it, giving you 2000+ instruments. It seems they now only sell that version. As mentioned in the original post, there also used to be Octane for $10 without all the additional soundbanks, with way less instruments and if you wanted more, you'd have to buy the soundbanks from within the plugin's store.

I bought Octane Complete and here's my experience so far:

I find many of the instruments sound great. And you really get a ton of sounds.
BUT: It crashes sometimes. So yeah, that's a bit of a showstopper. I haven't managed to figure out yet when and why it crashes. I hope that maybe, if I just avoid certain presets, it might not happen anymore.
So, all in all, I have mixed feelings. Would be a great deal if it didn't crash from time to time, but it does, so ... not a great deal, but not too shabby either.

Edited by audioschmaudio

28 minutes ago, satya said:

i would just compare that to izotope iris 2, its now discontinued tho

Iris 2 is a whole different thing to me. It's a soft synth and quite a unique synth where you can shape the sound by painting on a sample's spectrum to mask frequencies. You can use it with your own samples too, if you like.

Octane on the other hand is not a synth but just a plain rompler. You don't have a lot of options regarding sound design. Just a ton of presets.