IK Multimedia - SampleTank 4.03 Now Available

IK Multimedia has issued an update for SampleTank 4 bringing it up to version 4.03.
Visit your USER AREA to download the plugin as well as the latest Instrument and Preset Updates.
Here is a list of some of the changes in 4.03:

1. Improved memory and processor usage.
  2. Added a Streaming tab in Settings.
  3. Fixed an issue with crashes on FL Studio macOS.
  4. Fixed an issue with infrequent crashes on VST, AAX, and Standalone.
  5. Fixed an issue with possible missing font on Windows.
  6. Fixed an issue with authorization.
  7. Fixed an issue with recognizing the current ST3 path at first launch.
  8. Fixed graphic artefacts while resizing window within a host.
  9. Fixed an issue with automation defaults within a host.
  10. Fixed Strummer steps sync within a host at first load.
  11. Fixed an issue with instrument saving due to unsupported characters.
  12. Added a brief install guide post installation.
  13. Improved the search responsiveness in the Phraser.
  14. Fixed an issue with loading ST3 Multis that include imported legacy instruments.
  15. Improved visual feedback for database rescan.
  16. A Sound Library Update 1.3 is available. This fixes various typos, macro errors and Multi and sample issues and includes additional Multis. Please download and install the Sound Library Update 1.3 available in your SampleTank 4 Sound Downloads dropdown menu.
  17. General reliability improvements.
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

What is your ticket number?  I'll have someone see what happened there.

I appreciate, Peter.  Thankfully, it appears the update cured the locked sounds issue.  I haven't really had a chance to use it yet, so we will see, but looks good.

Thanks for all you do.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, balinas said:

Still quite a few instruments that instantly crash the stand alone Sample Tank4.  Should I be keeping track and reporting these, or would IKM just assume it is my system and setup?

You should report these issues to support so they can help you get up and running.  There shouldn't be instruments that crash SampleTank 4 at this point from what I'm seeing.  4.0.3 has been getting many users to a crash-free point so I'm sure support can assist you to find out what's happening.  Just make sure you've installed both 4.0.3 and the new sound library update.

11 hours ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

You should report these issues to support so they can help you get up and running.  There shouldn't be instruments that crash SampleTank 4 at this point from what I'm seeing.  4.0.3 has been getting many users to a crash-free point so I'm sure support can assist you to find out what's happening.  Just make sure you've installed both 4.0.3 and the new sound library update.

Installed both updates. Over the next week I will load some instruments and keep track of what happens. I am not sure if any crash dumps are created, but I really wouldn’t know where to look for them. 

Edited by balinas
Took out ‘am’

15 hours ago, abacab said:

No joy. Still getting crashes even with the latest updates. Switching instruments still seems to be an issue.

Are you finding this happens with most instruments or just some of the new pianos in ST4?

I have encountered this a few times as well, especially using the standalone version (ticket in process) where loading causes the standalone to vanish. This is also happening in the 4.03 update. I have had it occur while using it in Cakewalk and am working on a reproducible recipe as well as trying to generate a crash log to help narrow things down.

OK,

I just loaded ST4.03 into a new project and it seemed to behave somewhat without crashing when going through some of the larger ST4 piano presets. One of the things however that throws up a red flag is that when the sound is loaded the Audio Engine drops out.

I have a theory that it might be something to do with my USB bus or related. I do have my ST4 samples on an external USB3 drive so I am wondering if that might be a source of some type of bottleneck?

I really want all of my larger libraries on an internal drive so we’ll see how things go. I would love to see if my motherboard supports one of the NVME drives.

stay tuned....

5 hours ago, Simeon Amburgey said:

Are you finding this happens with most instruments or just some of the new pianos in ST4?

I have encountered this a few times as well, especially using the standalone version (ticket in process) where loading causes the standalone to vanish. This is also happening in the 4.03 update. I have had it occur while using it in Cakewalk and am working on a reproducible recipe as well as trying to generate a crash log to help narrow things down.

This happens mostly with just switching around with the big new instruments in ST4 MAX (4.0.3). You know, the ones I really want to try out because they sound so good. :D

My sample libraries are all installed on an internal 1TB SATA HDD 7200 RPM.

One example that recreates my crash consistently:

1. Launch ST4 standalone.

2.  Load "C7 Grand Binaural - Natural". Play  a few notes  to verify that the sound has loaded correctly.

3. Then replace that instrument with "C7 Grand Classical". It loads, but as soon as I try to play the first note, it just freezes up, and I have to kill the task. A few other scenarios have the interface just going poof. If I load "C7 Grand Classical" first, it loads and plays OK, so that instrument doesn't appear to have a corrupted file or anything.

So far I can also load and play the lighter ST4 instruments, for example all of the EPs and Basses. My ST3, Syntronik, and Miroslav 2 CE instruments seem to be OK.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, abacab said:

This happens mostly with just switching around with the big new instruments in ST4 MAX (4.0.3). You know, the ones I really want to try out because they sound so good. :D

My sample libraries are all installed on an internal 1TB SATA HDD 7200 RPM.

One example that recreates my crash consistently:

1. Launch ST4 standalone.

2.  Load "C7 Grand Binaural - Natural". Play  a few notes  to verify that the sound has loaded correctly.

3. Then replace that instrument with "C7 Grand Classical". It loads, but as soon as I try to play the first note, it just freezes up, and I have to kill the task. A few other scenarios have the interface just going poof. If I load "C7 Grand Classical" first, it loads and plays OK, so that instrument doesn't appear to have a corrupted file or anything.

So far I can also load and play the lighter ST4 instruments, for example all of the EPs and Basses. My ST3, Syntronik, and Miroslav 2 CE instruments seem to be OK.

This is exactly what was happening to me. Check out my new post about the Streaming setting. It seems to fix this issue. You might have to play around with the settings but I just set both to LARGE and the loading crashes have seemingly disappeared.

I had both set to "Medium", but I have also tried both set to "Small" and "Large".  That seemed to avoid the specific crash scenario I described earlier, but a few others still crash ST4, particularly with the new guitar instruments on either of the other settings. No luck with those, before or after changing the streaming settings.

3 hours ago, abacab said:

I had both set to "Medium", but I have also tried both set to "Small" and "Large".  That seemed to avoid the specific crash scenario I described earlier, but a few others still crash ST4, particularly with the new guitar instruments on either of the other settings. No luck with those, before or after changing the streaming settings.

I will check those out. 

I was able to get Cakewalk to generate some crash DMP files that I sent to IK support so that should help find some more details. 

Edited by Simeon Amburgey

2 minutes ago, Simeon Amburgey said:

I will check those out. 

I was able to get Cakeewalk to generate some crash DMP files that I sent to IK support so that should help find some more details. 

I already have a ticket open with IK support, but so far I am mainly interested in getting the standalone stable first. I wish to avoid any finger pointing at DAWs, so by using the standalone version to reproduce the crashes  eliminates the DAW variable completely!

And I have been able to crash several DAWs with the plugin, as well as the standalone. ;)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, abacab said:

I already have a ticket open with IK support, but so far I am mainly interested in getting the standalone stable first. I wish to avoid any finger pointing at DAWs, so by using the standalone version to reproduce the crashes  eliminates the DAW variable completely!

And I have been able to crash several DAWs with the plugin, as well as the standalone. ;)

I agree. The DMP files I generated will hopefully be a clue to the root cause of the issue as Cakewalk was able to sort of trap the error.

stay tuned...

11 hours ago, Simeon Amburgey said:

I agree. The DMP files I generated will hopefully be a clue to the root cause of the issue as Cakewalk was able to sort of trap the error.

stay tuned...

I'm just speculating here, but my hunch is that Windows isn't happy with how SampleTank 4 is managing memory. There is a significant amount of memory being "committed" for an instance of ST4 way above the amount in use.  I see the commit number frequently exceed the installed  RAM in my machine.

I have also been really surprised at the base memory footprint of ST4, compared to other audio applications and plugins. ST4 v4.0.0 through v4.0.2 (empty, no presets loaded) were using 2.1GB on my machine. The update to ST4 v4.0.3 dropped that down to 1.4GB. But that is still a lot. I have had the thing creep up to 5-6GB after loading a few instruments (one at a time, not concurrently).

Edited by abacab

1 minute ago, abacab said:

I'm just speculating here, but my hunch is that Windows isn't happy with how SampleTank 4 is managing memory. There is a significant amount of memory being "committed" for an instance of ST4 way above the amount in use.  I see the commit number frequently exceed the installed  RAM in my machine.

I have also been really surprised at the base memory footprint of ST4, compared to other audio applications and plugins. ST4 v4.0.0 through v4.0.2 (empty, no presets loaded) were using 2.1GB on my machine. The update to ST4 v4.0.3 dropped that down to 1.4GB. But that is still a lot. I have had the thing creep up to 5-6GB after loading a few instruments.

Absolutely,

I also think there might be a connection in not only memory but how ST4 is accessing Disk processes. I have been trying to set up additional performance monitors to lok at my USB bus as that is where I have some of the samples stored.

I am going to run through some of the other patches that I have seen other users mention were crashing their systems. I was so focusing on the larger Binaural Pianos as that was what was doing it here on my machine consistently.

4 minutes ago, Simeon Amburgey said:

I am going to run through some of the other patches that I have seen other users mention were crashing their systems. I was so focusing on the larger Binaural Pianos as that was what was doing it here on my machine consistently.

The acoustic Steel String Parlor  guitar in full KS, and the electric Black LP and Red Strat in their full KS presets are huge troublemakers for me in this regard. ;)

• Like 1