My New Video: THE KISS RULE: How to Stop Wasting Time & Actually Write Some Music!

Reid Rosefelt

Some good ideas in there Reid - thanks for the video.

Just a small comment about the video itself - I personally found your voice was a little too boomy. Were you trying out Voxessor by any chance and turning the voice type all the way to man?

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, antler said:

Some good ideas in there Reid - thanks for the video.

Just a small comment about the video itself - I personally found your voice was a little too boomy. Were you trying out Voxessor by any chance and turning the voice type all the way to man?

Glad that you liked the ideas, antler.

Hah! I don't have Voxessor.  Yet.  The problem was that the voice-over was a patchwork quilt.  Loading up the low end was the best I could do to make it sound consistent.  Consistently boomy, I guess.   But maybe I was trying to ratchet up the manly knob on my imaginary Voxessor.  Turn the manly up to 11?  

I learn something with every video.  Of course this one has blurry video and boomy vocal.  😡

5 hours ago, Kurre said:

In accordance to K.I.S.S i would not put any effects on the song. It sounds good as is.

In the original video idea, I did two versions of her song: one with the obvious Middle Eastern arrangement and another with a jazzy arrangement.  With different accompaniment, she sounds completely different.  But it got way too long.  Maybe I'll do it in a future video.

In retrospect this probably should have been two videos: one on orchestrating with a small palette of instruments and one on using a three-act structure.

3 minutes ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

This has four thumbs down already.  I don't think I've had one thumbs down on any of my videos.  Somebody also unsubscribed.

So there is definitely something in the message of this video that people don't like.  That's interesting.  I wonder what it is. 

Probably to actually write music. All they want is probably to collect plugins.

• Like 1

Hey I like your videos and thanks for watching them!

But for this one in particular apologies because the title shames me if I watch it 🤔 and I have more than enough cognitive dissonance already.

I very much appreciate the  reviews you do . . . Cheers, and good luck with it!

-Tom

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

This has four thumbs down already. 

showing no thumbs down for me ? 6 thumbs up 👍

and worrying about what people think is yet another block to creativity :) - most important rule (IMO) is to 'just do it' (to quote Nike, mis-quoting Gary Gilmore).

I really enjoyed the idea of that video - Even though I don't necessarily agree about the 'kiss' philosophy -  layers of complexity can be just as effective with the right talent.  But that's not the point ........you 'got it done'

thanks Reid Keep 'em coming :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yan Filiatrault said:

Probably to actually write music. All they want is probably to collect plugins.

2 hours ago, emeraldsoul said:

But for this one in particular apologies because the title shames me if I watch it 🤔 and I have more than enough cognitive dissonance already.

Maybe some people do see this as an insult, because of the clickbait headline.   I hope I don't come off as some kind of know-it-all.  As I said, I have a very large folder of unfinished projects. 

The worst one lately is that I spent over a month doing an orchestration of "Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence" with Jade Ethnic Orchestra.  And I finished the damned thing. I am happy with my performances, but it sounds like crap because I can't mix it.   So I'm thinking if I had just started with a simpler orchestration, maybe I wouldn't be in the mess I am in and I wouldn't have wasted all that time?

This is just a record of me trying to figure things out...