xxxxx

ABull

Allan . . . very well written song, and I always dig your vocals and harmonies. You have a characteristic "slide up" in the vocals of many of your songs that I like. I'm not hearing the 60's thing others have mentioned, for me, it needs more tambourine to sound 60's . . . or, more cowbell to sound 70's ? Lol.

My mix preference here would be to have the vocals lower and the instruments  slightly louder, drum balance is good. On headphones it sounds more balanced, but listening on smaller speakers, I hear the vocals standing out a lot, but alas, they sound great, so no real offense there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lots of stuff to like in this one. As always with your stuff, there are great vocals supporting a good melody over some truly interesting harmony. Sometimes I hear a strong Atlanta Rhythm Section vibe in there. Great playing everywhere you look. As for the mix, you always do a great job getting a "modern/vintage" vibe going with all the parts, nice and clear but smooth too. To my ears some additional work needs to be done to get all the parts to gel together better, but I'm not sure what that would be. Perhaps some light compression on the sub-mixes?  Finally, that is one groovy bass line, bro!

• Like 1

On 1/12/2021 at 6:57 AM, Douglas Kirby said:

Cool song Allen - I enjoyed your vocal as I always do - and I liked that instrument you brought in on the 2nd verse on the left - sounds like a synth.

Solid mix - sounded good to me.

Glad you like the song Douglas and thanks for saying so -- Allan.

On 1/12/2021 at 11:41 AM, DeeringAmps said:

There are a number of members of the forum you know you can count on for well written, well performed submissions.

Allan ranks among them...

t

Yes, I've been known to occasionally rank...:)  Thanks for listening Tom -- Allan.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2021 at 2:56 PM, Kevin Walsh said:

Lots of stuff to like in this one. As always with your stuff, there are great vocals supporting a good melody over some truly interesting harmony. Sometimes I hear a strong Atlanta Rhythm Section vibe in there. Great playing everywhere you look. As for the mix, you always do a great job getting a "modern/vintage" vibe going with all the parts, nice and clear but smooth too. To my ears some additional work needs to be done to get all the parts to gel together better, but I'm not sure what that would be. Perhaps some light compression on the sub-mixes?  Finally, that is one groovy bass line, bro!

Hey Kevin, thanks for those complimentary comments -- much appreciated.  And, I'm pleased you like my bass playing! -- Allan.

• Thanks 1

On 1/12/2021 at 3:58 PM, freddy j said:

Great sounding 1960's pop-ish sound.  Your vocals, harmonies and BGV,s sound very good indeed.   To my fossilized ears the melody and vocals have a wee bit of a McCartney sound (a complement indeed!).  Good work Allan!

Well, Freddy, a wee bit of McCartney is certainly weeeeee enough for me -- thanks for that and thanks for listening mate -- Allan.

On 1/12/2021 at 10:48 PM, noynekker said:

Allan . . . very well written song, and I always dig your vocals and harmonies. You have a characteristic "slide up" in the vocals of many of your songs that I like. I'm not hearing the 60's thing others have mentioned, for me, it needs more tambourine to sound 60's . . . or, more cowbell to sound 70's ? Lol.

My mix preference here would be to have the vocals lower and the instruments  slightly louder, drum balance is good. On headphones it sounds more balanced, but listening on smaller speakers, I hear the vocals standing out a lot, but alas, they sound great, so no real offense there.

Hey, I'm pleased you like the song and the vox -- and, thanks for the suggestions -- much appreciated. -- Allan.