help me understand the envelope automation readout

micv

This is the read out that has two numbers and is confusing to me when the entire envelope is being selected (all nodes).  The one on the left looks to me is the value of where the cursor is but not always!  the number one the right,  I cannot see any consistent pattern, I'd expect that this to be the amount of change but it's not!

My experience is that the two numbers shown are supposed to be represent the current value and the difference from the previous value. If you have multiple selected then I don't know what the current value would show but I would think the other number should be the changed amount.  Maybe post a screen shot or two to show what you are seeing.

I will need to figure out how to do screenshot!

For example I move the entire envelope (all nodes) down by .5db but the second number shows +3.5; then I move the envelope up by .5db the second number shows +4.5. Doesn't make any sense.

16 hours ago, Kevin Perry said:

4 - 0.5 = 3.5dB; 4 + 0.5 = 4.5dB.

Seems to make sense to me.

where do the 4 come from?  the nodes has different values throughout and in my test there is no segment that is +4db.

In practice I just want to move the entire envelop by a certain value, like .5 db, and I can't tell how much I had moved by looking at the numbers.

4 hours ago, micv said:

anyone?

So I tried to reproduce  your issue and was unable to do it.  Maybe yours is more complicated an so it is not as repeatable. Here is what I see.

I made an envelope lane for volume in a track and made sure the value was 0.0dB

image.png.d0b15f40f6c99777ff59430d84132f2b.png

Then I created 4 nodes and raised the inner nodes up to +3db. 1st number tells me what value I am on the the second the offset from the previous possition.

image.png.f14076571b20d9a329c151bea6b1751f.png

I also closed the automation lane and just looked at the values in the track view. They seemed to be the same

image.png.6d868afcc5f2900f23acb225f977c9ff.png

I moved one of the nodes to 6db.

image.png.0509d17fd6f0e9d782133adae718c23a.png

Then I moved bot the 3dB and 6dB nodes together so the 3dB one was back at 0dB.

image.png.ddbb1bb839e5847043de18f486f9a54e.png

So, at least in this case everything seems to be working. If you are seeing something different maybe get a hold of cakewalk support and send them your project so they can look at it.

@reginaldStjohn.  Thanks for trying this out. 

When you're moving only one node or a segment between two nodes it will work as expected.  The issue I observed is when you have more than one 'segment' and all nodes selected.  In your example try to select the entire envelope, all the nodes selected, you'll see what I mean.  In addition to the non-sense readout, you should see that for some reason the very last node will be un-selected and not move, instead another node will be created on top of the last note.

On 1/15/2021 at 6:53 PM, Bristol_Jonesey said:

This sort of thing can easily be done using offset mode.

• Switch on Offset Mode
  • Raise TRACK FADER by 0.5dB
  • Switch off offset Mode

A while back I got so confused with offset mode that I decided not to use it.  As I recall when you switch back to normal mode, the fader will ride with the envelop and the offset will be applied behind the scene.  Cool but after awhile you might forget that you have some offset somewhere.  Would be good if they also show the offset number next to the fader number.

On 1/17/2021 at 11:38 PM, micv said:

A while back I got so confused with offset mode that I decided not to use it.  As I recall when you switch back to normal mode, the fader will ride with the envelop and the offset will be applied behind the scene.  Cool but after awhile you might forget that you have some offset somewhere.  Would be good if they also show the offset number next to the fader number.

If you engage offset mode  at some point in the future, all non-adjusted faders will jump to 0dB whilst the ones you have adjusted will show it's new value

View it in Console View to see what's going on