Wicked Game "New Mix/Master"

mark skinner

I finished up a Chris Isaak song this morning , or at least I've gotten it to the point of getting some suggestions before I pull it off of SC.   Weapons - Godin nylon acoustic , G&L asat electric , TTS brush kit , Ample P bass , azr3 synth.  Any suggestions welcomed.  Thanks

https://soundcloud.com/user-810058643/with-you

Edited by mark skinner
  • Like 3

👍's from me.
You got the TTS kit sounding really good mark.

And, most importantly, you nailed Wilsey's Wicked Game tone.

t

I'd disable the Drive channel on my Fifty if I could get that tone consistently...

Played the tune for the wife, she's got that look in her eye again.... 🙃

Edited by DeeringAmps
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

ReMARKable . . . simply ReMARKable ! !

Sounds like you had some fun recording this, your subtle touch on the frets is SO there. I've loved this song ever since the first time I heard it on the radio, instant like, and as a musician I remember wanting to know who it was, and how they got that sound. You captured it's unique mood very effectively !

(I'm kinda' wishin' I had a mark skinner VST guitar plugin in my studio, I would stand in line for that)

• Like 2

"Thank You" to everyone. I went back to the mix and fixed a couple of spots that were bothering me and added a whisper track to the backing vocals. With the exception of Raum reverb , I used all stock CbB plugins on the electric guitar tracks. I will post my signal path and exact settings in another reply if anyone wants to create a #wicked fx chain preset . I'm going to do it myself asap. @noynekker  You won't even have to stand in line ..   Anyone wanting to get "real picky" on this one , I'm ready to get "real picky" on the mix and master ..  mark   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is one of my favorite songs and you did an incredible job with it! I still use TTS-1 too. It's still very usable after all these years.

Edit: I thought the next song that came up was yours too but I think I was mistaken. Wish I knew who it was for sure because it was a great song too. LOL!

Thanks.

Edited by Shane_B.
  • Like 2

Thanks to @garybrun we now have much bigger and cleaner mix. Changed the intro to ease into the song a little softer . I liked the last 2 mixes but they were dull and subdued compared to this one. I think Gary painted a very nice picture here , I guess that's why they say don't master your own songs ..  Further comments or suggestions are welcomed.  Thanks  ...  mark

• Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

If we're searching for perfection in this mix . . . the one thing I've noticed compared to my previous listen to this . . . those very subtle background vocals have become just a whisper, in my opinion far to subtle. Please bring them back so they are audible again.

• Like 2

Late to the party.  Absolutely awesome.  I've always enjoyed this song and you've done it serious justice.  The whispers are too quiet while the brushes are a tad too loud.  This is going to read stupid but may I suggest adding delay to the bass drum, way deep into the background.  While the brushes sound great the bass drum is too dry.  You missed the final strum at the very end of the original.  Listen close to the original and you'll hear there are three guitar tracks with a little space between each strum.   To me, it's sort of an Easter Egg.

• Like 1