Extracting from a Bundle File? Also VSTs?

Barry Seymour

Question

I understand how bundles contain all audio for a project, but I have two questions:

1. What if I want to convert a BUN file back to a standard project? Would I open the BUN file and then do File | Save as?

2. If I create a BUN file, are VSTs included? My guess is the audio is stored with the alterations made by the VST,  but the VST itself is not included. Am I understanding that correctly?

Thanks, all.

2 answers to this question

Before answering questions on bundles, keep in mind, bundles are still a feature in Cakewalk for backward compatibility.

They are suitable for sharing projects with other users but are not suitable for long term project storage or archiving.

Definitely not suitable as the only copy of a project.

For years there have not been many valid use cases for bundles.

Before the DAW can use a bundle it must unpack it into a regular project and audio files.

With the exception of audio snap data which cannot be stored, a bundle stores the project file just as it appears on disk. 

This includes all the plug-in references.

The audio is stored in the bundle is as it exists in the original project.

Bundling essentially creates a new file by writing out the project file (less audio snap data) and appends the the audio clips to it. No additional processing is done to the project or audio stored in the bundle.

• Like 2