Current Mood

53mph

A down-tempo track that captures my current mood. Think True Detective theme music without lyrics.

All live instrument overdubs except for two drum sounds. The guitar is in an alt tuning of my own creation (trade secret).

It's nothing ground-breaking.  But I like the vibe.

Edited by 53mph

Very nice..  That was a great progression and guitar capture. I thought Right when the drums started dropping out at the ending everything sounded clearer and a little more balanced , like the drums and percussion could be lowered a little. I also "really" liked the fret squeaks . They seemed to give your playing more of an intimate feel , like I was in the room . (although I thought they could be tamed a little).  Great song , nice tuning .  Relaxing ..  Thanks   mark

• Like 1

Thanks everyone - very valuable input form you all. 

I don't have a great studio setup - do my mixing by headphones - so I'll go back and tame the basses @Bajan Blue

Out of interest @jack c. did you find the quantizing problematic throughout or more at the beginning?  I noticed myself the beginning seems a bit off  but felt it levelled out later in the mix.

@kurt soderquist I'm tending more towards muffled these days (the piano is felted and the guitar is down tuned which takes a lot of harshness out of the strings) as I find the harsher eq guitar sounds of modern mixes grate on my ears - I might be suffering from Misophonia though as certain sounds trigger anxiety in me - so while I was post mastering, I ran it through a variety of izotope presets, and all the high-end eq stuff left me cold.  Perhaps it's just me, but I like mixes where it feels like a slipping into a warm bath.  I am aware that this is my problem though. ;)

@mark skinner I've always loved fret noises in mixes - it lets you know that the person playing is human, and not a UJAM instrument. Also, if you slide the frets in time, they can become percussive. 

5 hours ago, 53mph said:

Think True Detective theme music

Why limit your market; I can see this as a cue for lots of things

2 hours ago, 53mph said:

I'll go back and tame the basses

Not really disagreeing with Nigel, but with the guitar pulled up (maybe more than "just a bit"), the bass might be fine.
Listening on the DT990's.

2 hours ago, 53mph said:

aware that this is my problem

Your tune, your production, you get to make the decisions; no problem....

t

oh 👍's

with your kind permission, I'll hold the "like" for the re-mix with the guitar up 😎

Out of interest @jack c. did you find the quantizing problematic throughout or more at the beginning?  I noticed myself the beginning seems a bit off  but felt it levelled out later in the mix.

it's not bad but go threw mix and tighten certain spots.jack c.