Audio Errors / I can't hear anything

LaBron Mason

Question

I have Windows 10 and Realtek Audio with current drivers.  I loaded Cakewalk but have been having nothing but problems for hours (technically days).  I've been out of the game for a long time but used to love Cakewalk back in the early 2000's.  So when I heard it is still in use I was excited.  But can anyone help me get Cakewalk to work on my laptop?  My error says:

"The following driver either does not support the current audio format or is in use by another application."

I've matched the sample rates to 48000 and selected my Realtek ASIO HD Audio for the input and output.

Cakewalk won't even play the demo songs when I open them.  Does anyone recognize this issue?  I'd really appreciate any assistance any of you can lend.

18 answers to this question

22 hours ago, LaBron Mason said:

I have Windows 10 and Realtek Audio with current drivers.  I loaded Cakewalk but have been having nothing but problems for hours (technically days).  I've been out of the game for a long time but used to love Cakewalk back in the early 2000's.  So when I heard it is still in use I was excited.  But can anyone help me get Cakewalk to work on my laptop?  My error says:

"The following driver either does not support the current audio format or is in use by another application."

I've matched the sample rates to 48000 and selected my Realtek ASIO HD Audio for the input and output.

Cakewalk won't even play the demo songs when I open them.  Does anyone recognize this issue?  I'd really appreciate any assistance any of you can lend.

Download Asio4All (Click Here) for your computers Onboard Realtek Device. Best drivers for laptops if you dont have any outboard equipment connected to it. 

I have the same issue as the OP: I want Cakewalk to play audio out of my PC via the Realtek managed "Speakers" but it won't.  I have my audio out (aka Realtek Speaker) from the PC connected to an amp for better audio.   My monitor is connected via HDMI and sound can also go via HDMI to the speakers in the monitor. 

By selecting "Speakers" as the default device (image Sound - speakers default), then I successfully get audio coming out of my amp. 

However, in Cakewalk, if I select the Realtek-managed speakers as the output device (image Cakewalk - audio through Realtek), I get an "audio error" (image Cakewalk - audio error).  But, clearly the Realtek settings exceed (48k, 24-bit) and nothing else is using the device.  Clicking on the [Use anyway] option doesn't help; I still get no sound out of Cakewalk playing any of the demos.

If I set the HDMI as the default device (image Sound -HDMI default) and then select that in Cakewalk (image Cakewalk - audio through monitor via HDMI), I then get Cakewalk playing out of the speakers on the monitor (along with all other audio).

@Nigel Mackay I don't know how to select WASAPI for Realtek.  There doesn't seem to be an option for that in Realtek Console (image Realtek Settings).

@John Vere You recommended to watch the video but the video is now "unavailable".  Is it elsewhere?

@Will_Kaydo I will try the Asio4All you recommended but want to see if I can get this without adding something else yet.

10 minutes ago, IronRod said:

@Will_Kaydo I will try the Asio4All you recommended but want to see if I can get this without adding something else yet.

Have you tried to choose an output device? Like your realtek device or Audio Interface if you have one. 

Click Edit > Preferences

Under the Audio section on the left, click on Playback and Recording

From the "Driver Mode" dropdown select ASIO or WASAPI and then click Apply

Under the Audio section on the left, click on Devices

Make sure your Integrated Integrated audio card is selected under both inputs and outputs. If it appears grayed out, deselect all drivers, in both inputs and outputs, then select your Integrated Integrated audio card. Click Apply.

Under the Audio section on the left, click on Driver Settings

Make sure one of your Integrated Integrated audio drivers is selected as "Playback Timing Master". It is best to select the output that you have speakers or headphones connected to.

Click Apply and then OK

Finally, all audio playback will occur from the Integrated Integrated audio device. Make sure you have your speakers or headphones connected to its outputs

Edited by Will_Kaydo

The Realtek ASIO driver is known crap

Despite Will's protestations to the contrary, ASIO4ALL is known to be problematic. I didn't say that, the Bakers said it.

You're probably not going to want to hear this, and I seem to ruffle some people's feathers every time I say this, but if you get a proper audio interface with proper ASIO drivers, 99% of your audio problems will magically vanish.

Edited by bdickens
  • Like 1

I removed the video and yes it has been updated. You should have just started a new thread. Digging up old threads often will result in missing links etc. 

1- Don’t use Realtech ASIO 

2- Don’t use Asio4all it also is bad news on W10. 
3- WASAPI is a very stable driver  with W10 and Cakewalk but it will be out of sync if you are recording audio tracks. It’s absolutely all you need if all you do is Midi and audio loops 

4- if you plan on recording audio, guitar, vocals etc. then look for an audio interface 

These videos explain why 

Edited by John Vere
Add links
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, IronRod said:

I don't know how to select WASAPI for Realtek.

It's in Cakewalk's Preferences.

Preferences/Audio/Playback and Recording. There's a pull-down selection box for Driver Mode. Choose WASAPI Exclusive and 99% of your audio problems should magically vanish.

Of course if you want to record audio from a mic or instrument, you should get an external interface.

1 hour ago, bdickens said:

The Realtek ASIO driver is known crap

Despite Will's protestations to the contrary, ASIO4ALL is known to be problematic. I didn't say that, the Bakers said it.

You're probably not going to want to hear this, and I seem to ruffle some people's feathers every time I say this, but if you get a proper audio interface with proper ASIO drivers, 99% of your audio problems will magically vanish.

And just why do you feel offended by my suggestion? Do you here me mentioning you in my replies to everyones conversation? Everyone has their own experience and fixes to certain things that works for many, but fo some not. Everyone is here to help everyone, but you feel like you own the DAW everytime someone gives a reply. Time to grow up. I have Asio4All running with my UMC22 on with my laptop with NO! known issues what so EVER! Focursrite Gen2 with my Surface Studio - that sits now in my study. My studio runs Mac going on 8 months with an Apollo twin. 

I'm helping because I had never had any problems with ASIO4ALL period. Why? Because ASIO4ALL works 100% with an Interface. I have done DEMO recordings for major record labels using ASIO4ALL with no problems. 

Grow up. People out there make music with what they have and not everyone can afford an interface or any gear. 

Enjoy your day. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo

Why do you have to go through this every time?

If you have such great luck with ASIO4ALL then I'm happy for you and you should go play the lottery.

I only mentioned your name because I knew you were going to pop back in here with your speil about how ASIO4ALL is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Why do you keep shilling for it? You on their payroll or something?

You're the one who needs to grow up and just accept that it might actually take an amount of money greater than zero to make this stuff happen with any kind of reliability.

I'm offering real help, not half- assed workarounds like BS wrappers for WDM drivers. That's all ASIO4ALL is anyway.

I gave up a long time ago on fiddle-f__ing around with band aids and half-assed workaround wrappers and just bit the bullet for proper equipment.

Even if I'd did work correctly for anyone but you, its redundant anyway because of WASAPI.

Anyway, why do you keep arguing with me about this? Go argue with the developers. They're the ones who say ASIO4ALL doesn't work properly with Cakewalk, that the Realtek ASIO driver is the worst they've ever seen and, barring a real interface, to use WASAPI instead.

You have a wonderful evening yourself.

Edited by bdickens

21 minutes ago, bdickens said:

Why do you have to go through this every time?

Lol! You mistake me for someone else. You're the one crying and b___ing about it every time.

Not everyone can afford an interface like you nd me. So telling them to get one isn't helping them, thats breaking their spirit! Use your head. If you "really" want to help be nicer and look at the available options which they have. Either "WASAPI" or Asio4All which almost every other DAW out there (thats not free) offers the user. 

Have a great day. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo

Thanks to all of you for the info.  I will dig through it and see I can resolve this.

For context, here is my equipment:

• Windows 10 computer w Cakewallk
  • Technics PR603M Digital Piano
  • Scarlett 4i4 audio interface

I've primarily worked with only MIDI, live performance, and recording sessions but I've been out of the loop for a while.  I used the old Cakewalk back in the 90s so I thought I'd give it a try again -- of course, it's changed a lot and now associated with BandLab.  Back in it now and I want to explore using audio loops and some of the things now available; thus, setting up this new equipment.  The 4i4 comes with some additional software I will also be exploring; e.g., Ableton Live, Avid Pro Tools First, sound/tone packs, etc.

Edited by IronRod

1 minute ago, bdickens said:

Why aren't you using the manufacturer's ASIO driver?

I haven't even connected it yet.  I was taking this one step at a time, built the computer, installed Cakewalk and just trying to get Cakewalk working as a known entity.  Seems you're suggesting that I connect the Scarlett and get that working first?

• Great Idea 1