Errors, errors, and more errors...

Diana Chahine

On 1/21/2021 at 1:26 PM, Max Arwood said:

I noticed one thing.  You said only mono sounds good.  I saw that you have your master set mono.  It should never be mono.  Try all three - both channels and the master to stereo.  Also  you must have input monitoring turned on to cause the echo.

When everything is set to stereo that's when the audio sounds bad, although to clarify, the echo is from the imported audio track, not on my recorded track...

Diana I've been causally following your thread (disappointed no M-Audio users have chimed in).

Does the interface have its own mixer app?
(I'll do a little research, downloaded the manual and it does not look like it)

I'm an RME user, and TotalMix (RME's internal app) controls routing in the interface.
Its tremendously powerful, but a bit confusing/overwhelming at first use.

Others have mentioned this, but somehow you have to hearing phase issues on the stereo tracks.
Sounds like its playing back from Cakewalk and the Interface, which could explain why the "blend"
knob isn't working correctly. (if the TotalMix is setup wrong I could do this with my RME interfaces)

You in the States?

t

Edited by DeeringAmps
added comment

9 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

Diana I've been causally following your thread (disappointed no M-Audio users have chimed in).

Does the interface have its own mixer app?
(I'll do a little research, downloaded the manual and it does not look like it)

I'm an RME user, and TotalMix (RME's internal app) controls routing in the interface.
Its tremendously powerful, but a bit confusing/overwhelming at first use.

Others have mentioned this, but somehow you have to hearing phase issues on the stereo tracks.
Sounds like its playing back from Cakewalk and the Interface, which could explain why the "blend"
knob isn't working correctly. (if the TotalMix is setup wrong I could do this with my RME interfaces)

You in the States?

t

No, I'm in Canada.

Apparently, it seems that the issue is a manufacturing defect... I heard back from the Amazon tech where I ordered it from and they'll be sending me a replacement so hopefully that will work out better!

• Great Idea 1

On 1/21/2021 at 4:26 PM, Max Arwood said:

I noticed one thing.  You said only mono sounds good.  I saw that you have your master set mono.  It should never be mono.  Try all three - both channels and the master to stereo.  Also  you must have input monitoring turned on to cause the echo.

Setting your master in mono is a great way to check for phase cancellations, for fine tuning balance issues and exposing excess reverb.  So, not "never".

2 hours ago, John Vere said:

I think it was a long way back in this thread that that was my conclusion. Because nothing else made sense. I sure hope this works as normally it's not this much of a hassle to set up a DAW.  

I didn't think it would be! Thanks to everyone for your patience in dealing with this thread! I'll keep y'all updated on how things work out when I get the new one!

• Like 1

On 1/26/2021 at 7:38 PM, Diana Chahine said:

I did try listening to a youtube video through the AI as the output, and the sound came out very garbled for some reason. As if someone was running water over the audio... Does that mean there's a potential problem with the interface itself??

I'm surprised that nobody else has responded to this question, but my answer is yes, most assuredly. Playing back Windows sounds (without the DAW running) is about the most basic task an audio interface can do.

Also, after reading the entire thread, I couldn't see that you were plugging your headphones directly into the M-Audio. I think you probably are, but I'll say it anyway: everything you do with the DAW should be with the M-Audio only. After your tracks are recorded, if you need to unplug the M-Audio and take your computer somewhere else, then the onboard sound is fine for listening and mixing, but leave it alone while you're recording.

You've had a heck of a time, I hope the replacement unit solves the issue.

• Like 1