NRPN automation problem with envelopes

Stefan Bornhorst

I would like to control my DSI/Sequential OB-6 via NRPN controllers, for example the filter cutoff frequency: This NRPN parameter has a 0...255 range (the manual says 0...164 but that's wrong). If I turn the filter knob on the OB-6 from zero to full and record the MIDI output, the controller values are recorded and played back correctly from 0 to 255. But as soon as I convert the controller to an envelope or draw a linear envelope from 0 to 255 , there will only 3 NRPN controller values sent to the OB-6: Filter fully closed at the start, filter half open in the middle and filter fully open at the end. There's nothing else being sent over MIDI - the MIDI activity icon on the task bar only lights up three times.

If I draw an envelope with more than just a point at the start and a point at the end, the values will jump to each point's value as soon as a that point is reached but there are no changes between the points, regardless of what curve I've selected (linear, slow or fast). It seems that only on one occasion there'll be exactly one automatic change in the value and that is if the values of two envelope points are more than 127 apart. The value will change as soon as the absolute value of the envelope is higher/lower than the value of point 1 +/- 127.

This makes me wonder how the NRPN parameter resolution is handled in the envelopes. Sadly I haven't found any information about this topic. Is it perhaps possible to switch the envelope's resolution to a higher value in some hidden menu I've not found yet? As it is, the envelopes are practically useless for NRPM parameters, as there is also no kind of "zoom" function for parameters that have a small range...

Edited by Stefan Bornhorst