No ProChannel in new tracks; Insert Module crashes CbB - SOLVED

Stephen Morgan

Now what have I done? 🙃

Starting a few days ago, new tracks have no ProChannel, I mean, the ProChannel area shows up and the default parametric EQ graphic is there, but clicking any control only results in the four corners appearing on the control.  Also, attempts to "Insert Module" in the ProChannel area results in a CbB crash with:

Error - Unhandled Exception
        A fatal error has occurred.
        Module: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\mfc140u.dll

If I load an older project that used the EQ, it will load and work normally, but new tracks will not.  This image is from a project from May '20 with a newly added track, showing the difference in the ProChannel's:

973462520_noProChannel.png.631b3911defddd0cfc7c406e1dfb76a9.png

Interestingly (I think), if I load a ProChannel Preset, I get a functional parametric EQ.  Weird, huh?

So far, I have:

- uninstalled Cakewalk using BandLab Assistant, re-installed using same
- installed VC_redist.x64.exe      (yeah, I fumbling around in the dark)
- reset VST's and re-scanned

What is going on here??  Thanks for your time . 😊

What I'm seeing is in the new Channel,  Pro Channel is turned off. Not sure why all the controls are at zero?  If I insert a new audio track and open pro channel the EQ most are pointed straight up. Is that a custom pre set? 

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\mfc140u.dll   - When I enter that into google search I get a warning that it can harm my computer?? But it seems this is part of a download of Visual C++ 

You would have to do a clean uninstall and re install of Cakewalk to fix any weirdness. 

Edited by John Vere

Two things to check:

1. Make sure none of your Cakewalk directories are compressed.

2. Make sure no virus checkers are scanning the Cakewalk directories, blocking Cakewalk from accessing them.

Of course it could be a corrupt project, in which case post it here to see if anyone else can repro.

Also, what version of VC_redist.exe did you install ?

7 hours ago, msmcleod said:

Two things to check:

1. Make sure none of your Cakewalk directories are compressed.

2. Make sure no virus checkers are scanning the Cakewalk directories, blocking Cakewalk from accessing them.

Of course it could be a corrupt project, in which case post it here to see if anyone else can repro.

Also, what version of VC_redist.exe did you install ?

Thanks @msmcleod:

1. No directories are compressed. 

2.  No virus scanners other than Windows Defender

Corrupt project: failure occurs with a blank new project.

"Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2019 Redistributable (x64) - 14.28.29325"   <-- I only did this on suspicion that mfc140u.dll might be at fault.

Thanks for your help.

I've actually been able to get the "Gloss EQ" into a ProChannel by loading a 'ProChannel Preset', deleting the compressor (leaving only the EQ), and saving the result; then I can load that ProChannel Preset to get the EQ.  Still, the Gloss EQ is supposed to be there by default, and the big clue in this scenario, Insert Module should not cause a crash.  <sigh>

3 hours ago, Stephen Morgan said:

Thanks @msmcleod:

1. No directories are compressed. 

2.  No virus scanners other than Windows Defender

Corrupt project: failure occurs with a blank new project.

"Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2019 Redistributable (x64) - 14.28.29325"   <-- I only did this on suspicion that mfc140u.dll might be at fault.

Thanks for your help.

I've actually been able to get the "Gloss EQ" into a ProChannel by loading a 'ProChannel Preset', deleting the compressor (leaving only the EQ), and saving the result; then I can load that ProChannel Preset to get the EQ.  Still, the Gloss EQ is supposed to be there by default, and the big clue in this scenario, Insert Module should not cause a crash.  <sigh>

I would recommend a fresh install of Cakewalk.

• Like 1

Just to rule it out, have you tried checking your disk & Windows install for errors?
e.g. do this from an elevated command prompt

chkdsk c:

dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth

dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

sfc /scannow

if any of the above show errors, you can run to the following to repair your installation:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
  • Like 1

Thanks @msmcleod I had never even heard of dism.  I ran the scans.  Dism found no problems.  Sfc "found corrupt files and successfully repaired them. ..."  So I ran dism ... restorehealth as you suggested, and just to be thorough, I rebooted, ran sfc again and it found no errors.  Sadly, the problem with the ProChannel did not change.

I found the instructions for a clean install.  I performed the clean install.  The problem remains.

<ugh>

Okay, you're not going to believe this - I barely do.

In Control Panel, Programs and Features, I 'repaired' 6 installations of Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable (right-click, Change, Repair), rebooted, and the problem is GONE!  A new, blank project channel's ProChannel now shows the Gloss EQ and two other modules, all of which are operable and removable AND I can now insert a module without CbB crashing.

I did this on a wild hunch that maybe some recent installation - maybe a game, I don't know - had somehow clobbered one of the Redistributables, since that was where the mfc140u.dll was that the crash occurred in.  There are 20 Visual C++ Redistributables (2005 thru 2017) in my programs list, only the latest 6 of which (2012 thru 2019) offered the 'Repair', so I did all 6 of them.  I had already done the most recent two and the problem persisted, so it was one of the 4 remaining that cleared the problem.

@msmcleod thanks so much for your help!

• Like 1

• Stephen Morgan changed the title to No ProChannel in new tracks; Insert Module crashes CbB - SOLVED