SSDSampler5 Drums VST a bit quiet

Harley Dear

Hi all,

Is there anyone else using Steven Slate Drums Sampler 5 ( free ) VST?

If so have you found the overall sound quieter compared to ( say ) the SI-Drum Kit or MT Power Kit if the console sliders are set to the same position?

I am sure there's a simple setting I need to change but I have replaced the SI-Drum kit with SSDSampler5 kit on backing tracks we use for the band and I have to reduce all other instrument consoles so drums don't get drowned out. I am sending the various outputs to separate Audio tracks so we can manipulate each drum instrument.

Any advice?

Cheers - Harley -  

You are correct. It is very un useable to me. Its about 30 db lower and what is weird if you turn it up it peaks the meters but is still too quiet. 

Did you try that free MT Power kit yet. I like it a lot. Dead simple and sounds just fine. 

https://www.powerdrumkit.com/download76187.php    yes there is a nag screen but it was easy to get rid of,, I gave them a ten spot.  

Also my trick of grabbing the Addictive Drums free version and all that is missing is Toms- Not a big deal as I'm not a heavy user of toms on my backing tracks. And just point the toms at SI drums. Free. 

Edited by John Vere

I found SI Drums extremely loud compared to a lot of my libraries here, so it's most definitely quiet in comparison.

I've got a hybrid kit template of SSD and Addictive Drums for my drum template (there's nothing that touches the toms on SSD I reckon, but I don't like the SSD cymbals a real lot, especially for long sections of crash cymbal grooves), and a few custom samples being triggered as well. Everything is run out to their own tracks where I'm running compressors, EQ, etc on it all, and I'm finding it pretty decent levels wise.

Try upping the gain a little on each output if you can, that might help a bit. Alternatively, run everything to a drum buss and crank that a little bit (or put a limiter over the top if you're not worried about playing anything in real time due to the latency they typically add to a project) and see if you can match the levels you're expecting.

On 1/11/2021 at 1:13 AM, Lord Tim said:

Alternatively, run everything to a drum buss and crank that a little bit (or put a limiter over the top if you're not worried about playing anything in real time due to the latency they typically add to a project) and see if you can match the levels you're expecting.

Thanks Lord Tim. Running to a CbB buss is not an option as I want to get the separate drum instruments out to our Ui24R ( Kick, Snare, Toms, Hi-Hat, Cymbals, Room ) so the sound guy can mix live. I'll try your advice on gains. Most of our backing tracks don't have much in the way of crash cymbals but I'll keep an ear out for what you're saying. I appreciate the help.

Harley

• Like 1