Using VST3 in place of older VST2 plugz

winkpain

Question

Is there any way to replace VST2 plugins in my older projects with their current VST3 versions and have the settings/state of the VST2 version carry over automatically to the VST3 replacement?

For example, if I no longer have the VST2 version installed and have a project with many of them in the FX bins with their adjusted settings as desired, is there a way to simply add the VST3 versions of the same plugins and have their plugin states that were "remembered" by Cakewalk then applied to the newer versions??

I am talking about quite a large number of them from, for example, Waves and iZotope bundles that I decided when re-upping and economizing my system to not load the older versions as well as the new.

I know I can simply go back and re-install the VST2 versions, but the question is: is that the only solution?

5 answers to this question

Try saving the old VST's. Then when you open the new ones, simply call up the old version. I think most VST's allow you to do this. For example: You have a VST2 for an EW library, say woodwinds. you save that VST3 as "project name EWWW." You open a new VST3 instance. From the menu, you load the EWWW settings.

Edited by mdiemer

25 minutes ago, scook said:

It depends on the plug-in developer.

A few support VST3 migration.

Some update their plug-ins such that even in same format appears to the DAW as a different product.

Ah, yes. I remember the VST3 migration topic now. I thought this was the case, and I have had those settings checked in my preferences, but I had forgotten.

For a few of the Waves (which is supposed to be migration compliant) plugs, it seems to be not working but hopefully just a few...

So, for the ones that don't support migration and the "Replace if possible..." setting, is there a clever way to get at the info saved by Cakewalk from it's "Stand-In" data so as to read it and recreate the "original plug-in state" manually ?

Stand in.JPG

On 1/9/2021 at 2:10 PM, scook said:

It depends on the plug-in developer.

A few support VST3 migration.

Some update their plug-ins such that even in same format appears to the DAW as a different product.

Hello, something that was not clear to me in the documentation is, if it is possible to migrate VST2 -> VST3 in this configuration, the presets or parameterization until then existing in the plugin is maintained or only the replacement of VST2 -> VST3 is made, being included in the plugin's default parameterization as if included for the first time.

image.png.ba802f47b762701869aecc819b39b67b.png