MIDI Controller gets lost all the time

Leonardo Martins

Question

Hello, i've always used Sonar until X3 and now using Cakewalk by Bandlab, after some update in the past months, my Controler (UMX 610) Gets lost.
I mean: It is connected, it is recognizeble, but can't pass any data. At first it works normaly and sudently it happen time to time.

To get it working again i have to:

1: force shutdown removing usb cable, (Remember it is recongizing as connected), a message pops out "Umx 610 controller was disconected, want to reroute the inputs, etc" then its not showing anymore.

2: Connect again, a message pops out "Uma 610 device was detected, want to put it in, etc".

3: Acept and set the input port again...

That's what i've been doing for a few months, but now its getting realy ennoing and makes me lose too much time... any help, please?

3 answers to this question

A few things to check:

• Check your Windows power plan settings, and ensure USB sleep is disabled (check the BIOS too - you may be able to disable suspend there).  While your at it, check your plan is on "High Performance".
  • Check your USB socket is clean from dust, dirt & corrosion - WD40 can do the trick. 
  • Try a different USB cable - it could be damaged or not the right kind (not all USB cables are created equally! - there's a difference between USB 1.1/2/3 and whether it needs a ferrite bead or not)

Often this issue is caused when a windows update overwrites the manufacturers USB midi driver with a generic midi driver. If your controller has a driver. re install it. If it doesn’t then you’ll probably have to live with this  or buy a name brand controller that uses a proper driver 

Edited by John Vere

Well, it works fine when i'm using kontakt, or another standaloe aplications.
I often play in the catholic church and stay hours with fine conection, even when i stop playing for 10, 20 minutes, then go back, it works fine. Just in Cakewalk that happens.

@msmcleod Thanks.  Done with Disabling "USB sleep" etc Will see what happens.

@John Vere I've noticed in the device manager are apearing 2 umx controller installed. Cant uninstal those drivers. It apears to be generic usb driver indeed.