cc7 and Console Faders

Jerry Gerber

I've long used cc11 to control volume changes within a MIDI track and I would set the channel fader's volume default to 96, to allow for headroom.  But then, a year or so ago, I discovered that if I used cc7 to make volume changes within the event list either as a series of controllers or a single event, I could see the fader move that corresponds with the cc7 data. 

Did something change?  Now, when I insert a cc7, or a series of cc7s into a track, the fader doesn't move.   The only way to get it to move is to use automation, but that doesn't involve cc7.  Hmm.  I guess I'll go back to cc11 because the only advantage of cc7 was being able to see (and confirm) the data changes visually via the faders.  

Am I missing something here or did Cakewalk change?

Thanks!

Jerry

www.jerrygerber.com

The way these cc are intended to work is this:

CC7 (Volume) is like your volume knob. It sets the overall volume for a track.

CC11(Expression) is the dynamics of an instrument.  Swells and fades. Crescendo/ Diminuendo. Think violin or horn melody rising and falling.

Velocity is how hard a note is initially struck. Think pressing a piano key softly vs. pounding on it.

Yeah, I understand that. That's wasn't the question. I'm wondering if there's been any changes regarding how faders interact with cc7. I distinctly remember the midi faders responding to cc7 changes that I programmed in the event list (like audio faders react to volume envelopes). But they don't anymore. Did something change in Cakewalk? 

Thanks, 

Jerry 

I also can't remember faders ever followed CC7 events. Logically CC7 envelopes was always separate from CC7 events in the clip, the fader is working with envelopes (and there is no mode switch for it), so how could it follow two different values at the same time? 

Basically, CC7 envelopes go through the automation server, which ends up sending a CC7 event.  As faders respond to automation, they get moved with envelopes.

CC7 events more or less go straight to the MIDI out (via various filters e.g. articulations, MIDI FX etc).

Well, maybe I dreamed this, I hope I am not getting dementia!   I remember the faders moving when I used cc7 midi data in the event list.  But, according to all the above replies I must be mistaken.  I understand the difference between cc7 MIDI data and volume envelopes.  The thing is, I am sure I was not using volume envelopes because I only use envelopes on audio tracks not MIDI tracks.

In any event, after using the the latest incarnation of Cakewalk while composing my 11th symphony I am convinced that Cakewalk is the best DAW available.   Its ergonomics and stability, functionality and flexibility are second to none.  It's amazing that it's free and even more amazing that developers are creating new features and fixing bugs.   Thank you Cakewalk!!!

jerry