How to edit Bass Guitar into Hip Hop Bass

Alex Theo

Hi and hello,

I am a bloody noob in Cakewalk and I need some help from someone who is either into hip hop or he or she knows how to get things done :D. Lets take a track like "They want efx" by "Das Efx".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PU22-fsGA0&ab_channel=UPROXXVideo

If you keep listening you will recognize the bass "guitar" in the background at the very beginning of the track. Whenever I try to edit my bass guitar it sounds to guitarish. It reminds too much of a bass guitar in one of Korn's tracks. I tried everything like google, youtube and things but there is now tutorial like "how to make hip hop bass" only how to make a beat but all of them dont use this kind of bass. I tried it by myself but I failed so I hope I can get some musical therapy up in here :)

I hope you can help me out! Thanks in advance.

One love

alex

Probably what you are looking for is not a traditional bass sample but a synth bass sample. I must have 1,000 synth bass sounds in my collection. Lots of freebies include analog synths I collect them.  My latest is called the Fury 800 which is very cool emulation of my long lost Korg Poly 800.  Definitely synth bass in there 

• Like 1

HipHop producer here.

So you want the classic hiphop sound? 

First of all let me start by saying - You can't really teach someone how to make a hiphop track, or any other genre for that matter (Creativity can't be taught.) It's all about your feel, taste and style. So you will never get the sounds of another mixing engineer - a lot of elements such as your "environment, mixing room, equipment, plugins, monitors etc. plays a crucial part in this too. 

I'm only saying this to prepare you for the ×1000's of mixing ways there is out here. A video will show you how to approach it, and also safe to say - only how "they" know how to do it, (probably also from a video they've seen.) So, keep this in mind. 

With that out of the way . . . 

Questions to always ask yourself: Was that an Acoustic Bass guitar that was used, OR, an Electric bass guitar? Was it Mic'd, OR, was it plugged in and had the "efx" added on later (the puns are out here.) 😂

These two approaches makes a huge difference with "headroom and real estate."It's not only for the prevention of clipping, but also to help the Bass guitar sit comfortable in the background, with the other elements around it. This old method eliminates the steps of "TOO MUCH EQ CUTS" in the low end area, but might need a "Boost" too add a little "OOMPH" in the low end area (Hence why yours sound too guitarish as you've said.) To help this sit even more comfortable in the mix, would be to add a little reverb (Barely Audible.)

Depending on the elements in your track, there will be times where only a "Saturation Effect" will do the job for you, - with compression before and after, where"SIDECHAIN" is not even required.

If you're completely doing things "In the Box" Meaning:  using a Bass Vst Instrument - you will have to create your own "headroom and background space" with a reverb. 

This is the best advice I can give you. All you need to do is - apply your own creativity to it. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo
Rephrase.

16 hours ago, Alex Theo said:

Whenever I try to edit my bass guitar it sounds to guitarish. It reminds too much of a bass guitar in one of Korn's tracks. I tried everything like google, youtube and things but there is now tutorial like "how to make hip hop bass"

It all depends on your knowledge of your soft synths you own and your knowledge in all the audio effects you own.  

Editing a sound to make it sound like another sound takes a lot of talent, trained ears, and knowing all your audio & MIDI effects inside and out. 

The easiest way to go about this is not starting with a bass sound that gets to sound like Korn's Bass sound, which I love as a bass player. Korn's bass  has saturation/distortion ad its heavy in the MID and HIGH frequencies. This is far off form a HIP HOP bass sound. 

You need to start with a sound that is close to where you want to end up. Then you use your knowledge of your audio effects to carve the sound you want. It also depends on the arrangement of the mix, the other instrument sin the mix and the vibe and feel you want for the entire song. It is unteachable, as the same bass guitar sound can sound different in 20 different songs it is mixed into. This is why learning your tools and starting off with a similar bass sound is the most important step. 

17 hours ago, Alex Theo said:

Hi and hello,

I am a bloody noob in Cakewalk and I need some help from someone who is either into hip hop or he or she knows how to get things done :D. Lets take a track like "They want efx" by "Das Efx".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PU22-fsGA0&ab_channel=UPROXXVideo

If you keep listening you will recognize the bass "guitar" in the background at the very beginning of the track. Whenever I try to edit my bass guitar it sounds to guitarish. It reminds too much of a bass guitar in one of Korn's tracks. I tried everything like google, youtube and things but there is now tutorial like "how to make hip hop bass" only how to make a beat but all of them dont use this kind of bass. I tried it by myself but I failed so I hope I can get some musical therapy up in here :)

I hope you can help me out! Thanks in advance.

One love

alex

As a bass player, I listen to that track and I hear a pretty straightforward, DI bass tone with a hi and lo filter and maybe some saturation. I'm no hip hop expert but I would think hip hop bass would tend to be synth rather than real bass guitar.

So, after some research, I found that the bass line is a James Brown sample. So, go grab yourself a Fender Precision with some flatwounds. ;)

Edited by MisterGreen

@MisterGreen @CJ Jacobson@Will_Kaydo

Sirs (I guess) thanks for your advice, it confirms somehow my way :D. I keep trying it out and virtually Plug In the Bass Guitar and carve out some sounds! I already tried it before I had a look in the forum so I think I move in the right direction because I get closer and closer to the Bass I want or need for my tracks. 

@John Vere

May I have the link so I can download it? Thank you!

Thanks I am very grateful for that! 

Google Fury 800.    I don't remember which site but it seems to be on all of them. 

There are lots of free VST synths on KVR   https://www.kvraudio.com/product/fury-800-by-full-bucket-music

Plug in Boutique   https://www.pluginboutique.com/categories/4-Synth?free=true   

and this https://www.audiopluginsforfree.com/fury-800/

https://bedroomproducersblog.com/2020/05/31/fury-800-vst/

Just be careful what you click on there's a lot of garbage lurking on some of the free pages. Make sure it's the download for the actual VST and not Win Zip or something else.   

We have a sub forum here where all the good deals are posted. https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/forum/7-instruments-effects/

You can spend months checking this stuff out but it's time well spent because no one ever has enough VST instruments and effects!  

What I do is try them on my second machine and if they are a keeper I then install to my main DAW. Never have come close to getting a virus. Just be careful about the sites and where you "download" from.  If possible go directly to the manufacture. Software company. Most are free directly from the owners. 

Edited by John Vere