ARC and Monitors vs. expensive monitors

Bad Mac

so now i am looking to get Primacoustic London room kit and 6 additional Broadway 2" Panels. I will be rearranging when the new monitors arrive and after i tear out the foam and replace with panels. will let you know. my first pass at room treatment with panels will be right at $1100.

Congrats on following my time-tested method . . . the strategic placement of clutter to enhance wave dispersion.

I looked at your pics and I think the wall behind your main desk is still blank and too reflective.

Who wants to help him pull down that monitor bridge, hang up a curtain or better yet a carpet with a cool design, and then put everything back up again???

It's not as good as foam, but this rug is 100 bucks, is 5x8, and would dull the splash from the wall behind your monitors:

3140967_image_1010.thumb.jpg.eb44dbba7b81633bdba3fd7dfcf9d1ea.jpg

https://rugs.com/multi-5x8-theia-area-rug-6281934?rt=bbsize

Can't guarantee it wasn't woven in a sweatshop somewhere, but it would look hella cool up there. You could also put it up kind of bunched on the wall, with a few intentional undulations, for better dispersal characteristics.

OK Guys, yuk it up!!  I ordered these items below. I will try to measure the room with Room EQ Wizard as it is with the foam and once i install all of the new panels. Will also take pics. And am going to take the opportunity to reduce some clutter.

This is the starting point. I will add panels if I need more.

https://www.primacoustic.com/london-12/

https://www.primacoustic.com/nimbus/

https://www.roomeqwizard.com/

PS. I got these on ebay for about 2/3 the normal price. They were in new condition, but open box or maybe a returned items. FYI.

Edited by Bad Mac

7 hours ago, RobertWS said:

I read a book on mixing where each chapter was by an industry professional (that makes me an expert!).

The oddest thing was that some of them would go outside the room and listen.   If it sounded good in a different room...then it was good.

That technique works really well for live situations when checking sound balance... for a studio though, if you can hear it in another room it means your soundproofing sucks! 

I'm kidding of course - I guess what they really mean, is listening to the recording in a different room on a different system... in which case I 100% agree.

FWIW I had exactly this situation with my studio.  I'd do a mix in the studio,  burn it to CD and play it in my living room.  The mix sounded awful. No bass and other frequencies all over the place.

ARC totally sorted it all out for me. Right away, playing the track in the studio with ARC engaged sounded exactly like it did in my living room. So I remixed and tried again, and all was good.

It also prompted me to move my speakers away from the wall and mount them on wall brackets to reduce the exaggerated bass. Of course I had to re-measure with ARC, but I'm still getting a pretty flat response now.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

You don't need to tear down the foam completely. The Auralex stuff does something, but only on higher frequencies.

The primacoustic london 12 pack is designed for my room. I also got the ceiling treatment. The foam is ugly. The primacoustic panels are 5x more abosbant than the foam. The foam is going away. If someone wants it, let me know.  I am also thinking about a new desk.

My room is all full of sound absorptive junk. None of it was scientifically done though I know how. 

I've used ARC ever since it was introduced now in version 3 and Sonarworks for headphones. The last time I bought ARC I bought the most recent mic they sell with it.

I am quite happy with it. Mixes translate pretty well for me using ok monitors. ARC is not only EQ it is also time relational to the standing waves and adjusted to your location. I don't usually move around my mixing space so it works fine. Not trying to sell anyone just telling you it works for me.

It always confuses me how ARC requires such meticulous measurements ( I think I did 13 on my last measurement ) with the mic vertical, whereas with Sonarworks you just wave the microphone pointing horizontally at the monitor in different standing positions and it kinda knows where you are...

I'm pretty happy with ARC, but Sonarworks gets such good reviews. I use Sonarworks for headphones and it's really good.

• Like 1

so first off, the foam is virtually doing nothing. except maybe off-gassing some chemical fumes.

to improve the symmetry - close the closet door closest to the corner. then make a stack in each corner if semi-rigid insulation. you do this be running a 2x2 up each wall or on the closet door, and string across to hold it in place. cover with flame retardant treated cloth. curtains are such a fabric. do this in the back corners as well. on each side of the desk - build a 2'x4'x4" deep (600mm x 1200mm x 100mm) set of absorbers plus two for the ceiling. you could put the one in the closet behind the guitars if needed. make sure you have an equilateral triangle of your listening position and the acoustic centers of the speakers. the acoustic centers align with the tops of your ears and the point on the listening position is 12' (300mm) behind your head. this may mean the speakers need to come closer together and angled a bit more straight - try to get a 30° angle (or 60° depending on how you view things...) for each leg relatively.

this positioning of the speakers and listening will help, as well as actual trapping in the room. you can glue the foam on the new absorbers if the styling of the foam is important to you 😛 

thru this whole process, i am doing a complete music room remodel. LOL. I am looking / researching for a new desk.  Thinking about this: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ProRak36Blk--rab-audio-pro-rak-studio-desk-for-consoles-up-to-36-inch

or to save money, maybe this: https://www.amazon.com/Acme-Furniture-Eleazar-Recording-Studio/dp/B088K34YM4/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=recording+studio+desk&qid=1610397789&sr=8-7

Have new monitors on the way: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CLA10Act--avantone-pro-cla10-active-studio-monitors

This should be here in the next day or two: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/London12Gy--primacoustic-london-12-gray

Got an idea for storage to clean up the clutter.  An am thinking of painting the room since i am doing all the other stuff.

What type of desks with control surfaces are you guys using?

Edited by Bad Mac
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, garybrun said:

Regarding desks I can recommend studiodesk.net
great customer service.
Take a look at mine,  very pleased with the service and there are many different one to suit budgets.

gary1.jpg

Let me guess, you spent so much on the desk that you didn't have enough left to replace a few bulbs? 🤔

(I still like the ambience of that room!  The tilted wall actually adds to the effect. 🙂)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, craigb said:

Let me guess, you spent so much on the desk that you didn't have enough left to replace a few bulbs? 🤔

(I still like the ambience of that room!  The tilted wall actually adds to the effect. 🙂)

Quite correct Craig  🙂
Notice the V Studio console ... I know you bought one too.

The back wall is the same angle too.
What I am really in love with is the chair.
Best thing I've invested in since I spend so much time in this mancave!!