My time ruler disappears for some reason

Hi,

This is annoying me now so I thought I would ask what I am doing wrong. I click anywhere on any track and the time ruler ( vertical line) appears where I click. so far so normal.  I then do lots of stuff like open new track, record something whatever, ( not sure what causes this to happen ) and now it wont appear unless I click right at the top of all the tracks where the time is displayed. So I am doing something to cause this but what am I doing? Not the end of the world but irritating and it slows me up. 

Actually, it changes the way it works, I'll give it a try later to understand what is happening,  and see if this is a fix, didn't know there was such a thing as a shortcut...lots to learn. Very odd though, it seems to just stop working at random, and then later back comes the ruler if I click anywhere and on any track..irritating.

I dont think so, its very odd. I can move the cursor up to the timeline and click, and the ruler comes back. But obviously its easier to be able to click on the track you are working with, or anywhere amongst the tracks, to get the ruler to where you are starting from > but for no reason it stops doing it! I've tried checking what I do when this happens but there seems no reason..annoying.

Hmm, I think we're maybe talking about two different things here.

There's the Now Time marker, which is a solid vertical line. This matches the time shown in the transport display.

Then there's aim assist, which is a dotted vertical line that moves with the mouse cursor position... it's this that the X key toggles on/off.

If the current time in the transport display is not within the current time-window of the clips (i.e. due to zoom level), then it'll disappear. Scrolling the clips view horizontally will bring it back to view once it's within the time window.

So when it disappears, is the time shown in the transport within the left most time and right most time in the clips view?  If that's the case, then its normal behaviour.

The reason it re-appears when you click, is because you're setting the current transport time to where you've clicked.

• Like 1

Thanks Its dawning on me slowly. Tonight just realised it happens when I change the cursor from "select" to "move" say when I'm adjusting when a track starts. oddly, it is all ok to start with, i.e. when I use the "select" setting for the mouse, but once I change to "move" it only brings up the ruler using "move" and refuses to do so for "selects" not asure why

On 1/9/2021 at 12:21 PM, tecknot said:

Hi Richard,

Can you post a video of what is happening when the ruler comes and goes?

Kind regards,

tecknot

BTW... where can I find out how to take and post a video. I've never done that, but would appear very helpful in troubleshooting.

The simplest video capture tools are ScreenToGif and LICEcap

While uploading directly to the forum is possible, there is a 50MB user quota.

Rather than dealing with the user quota, I prefer to upload images and videos to an account on imgur.com and link the images in my posts.

Once uploaded to imgur, clicking on the file displays a screen with a variety of options, I click the copy button next to BBCode and paste it into my posts like this

BAOkR7N.png