8DIO Soundpaint

cclarry

3 minutes ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

Never on sale is not a top tier feature.  Hard pass.

I've spent the last hr trying to make up my mind if they think never on sale means no discounts or if they are "not for sale" as in free.

Also with new instruments released every week, and the piano is at something like 6 gigs, have to wonder about space.  

3 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

I've spent the last hr trying to make up my mind if they think never on sale means no discounts or if they are "not for sale" as in free.

I think it means the price never goes down. I noticed there's an 'all' bundle that offers a $10 discount over buying the modules individually. I asked support whether there was an upgrade path for new modules as they are released if you buy that bundle. I interpreted the answer to be the price will never change - probably a reaction to some of 8Dio's Kontakt libraries going on a discount, and people expressing discontent that they paid more.

• Like 1

The Soundpaint app is free, the instruments cost.  I bought the Guitar for $20.  It sounds great, but the first thing I wanted to do was assign aftertouch to an LFO, and I don't think that is possible (only CC or note velocity).  I hope I am wrong- there is no manual yet.  There IS a ton of tweak-ability in there, don't get me wrong.  As for the "never on sale" pledge, time will tell.  The 8 instrument bundle is $300 while the total of them piecemeal is $310.

• Like 1

Top tier features are things that are useful to the consumer.  Never on sale is just marketing nonsense.  People don't like when things get sold for less than they paid for them ,sure, but that feature doesn't help me make music.  It doesn't make my compositions better.  It doesn't even really make me feel better.   In fact it may make me feel worse, since it means I over paid for it.

I don't have a problem with a developer generally not putting products on sale and telling customers they don't normally do sales.  But that is not a feature you highlight on a moving banner at the top of your website. 

To date every single music software/software instrument manufacture that has claimed to not support sales have at one point or another done something that would ultimately count as a sale or a discount or a better deal.  Even the ones that have mostly kept to that line find themselves in a situation where a better deal is possible.  It's a silly promise to ever make really, even if it were kept 100% true. 

It doesn't actually make me, my life, or my music any better.  It ranks last on features I want from a product.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, antler said:

I think it means the price never goes down. I noticed there's an 'all' bundle that offers a $10 discount over buying the modules individually. I asked support whether there was an upgrade path for new modules as they are released if you buy that bundle. I interpreted the answer to be the price will never change - probably a reaction to some of 8Dio's Kontakt libraries going on a discount, and people expressing discontent that they paid more.

Yeah, that is what I thought is the case but unless it is actually "free" then it isn't a feature of the product offering as @Matthew Sorrels eloquently stated.

I appreciate an affordable pricing model....but saying we never go on sale isn't a banner worthy claim.

Edited by Brian Walton

I liked the Jupiter 8 demo video then checked for the price. If it's $80 and will never go on sale then, well, I'll be probably saving for it and always spending on something else currently going on sale, effectively never owning this one. Life is too short.

Here's why I see "Never on Sale" as an important thing for the rollout of Soundpaint.

More than any company I can think of, 8dio has the wackiest pricing.  They will sell something for $298 and then it's $198 and then it's $98 and then it's a free gift if you buy something else. Or maybe a freebie altogether. So you always feel precarious whenever you buy anything from them.  You can buy something and it might come out for a tenth of that.  And they will continue doing that. 

But Soundpaint is a separate product with its own website.  It's made by Troels and the team, but it's not available on 8dio as far as I can tell.  I think they are making a point that Soundpaint  is not an 8dio product and will not be sold in the same way.   Soundpaint will be sold like Vallhalla and Indiginus.  No sales ever.  Are there other companies like this?  I just know of these two.

As I understand the Indiginus and Valhalla plan, they could charge twice as much for their products and a lot of people would buy them.  But instead of a 50% off sale now and then, the 50% off is year round. 

And that's why the guitar is $20.   Would it still sell if it was $50?  You bet!   But then if it ever went on sale for $20, some people might feel bad. 

While you may think that "Never on Sale" is not a selling point, it's a massive issue for anything that comes from 8dio.   If you paid $98 for a Soundpaint instrument on 8dio, it might turn up as a freebie later.  That absolutely could happen.

They're saying it won't and I appreciate that.  Even the bundle is no pressure because it only discounts $10.  Better to wait and get the things you really want.

Another tell is that all 8dio prices end in 8, but these have regular prices like $20. 

PS I think Soundpaint is awesome.

Edited by Reid Rosefelt
  • Like 5
  • Great Idea 1

4 minutes ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

But Soundpaint is a separate product with its own website.  It's made by Troels and the team, but it's not available on 8dio as far as I can tell

I wanted to ask support a question about SoundPaint, but didn't get the chat pop-up on the SoundPaint website, so I asked it on the 8dio chat instead; the support agent said (and I paraphrase): Hi there, let me transfer you to a SoundPaint support agent. So yes - it does look that way.

8 minutes ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

No sales ever.  Are there other companies like this?  I just know of these two.

Maybe Spectrasonics; and I've never seen Serum on sale, but not sure if any of Xfer's other products have been on sale.

10 minutes ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

They're saying it won't and I appreciate that.  Even the bundle is no pressure because it only discounts $10.  Better to wait and get the things you really want.

Yes - it's nice to know I can pick them up a bit later after Black Friday.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, antler said:

I wanted to ask support a question about SoundPaint, but didn't get the chat pop-up on the SoundPaint website, so I asked it on the 8dio chat instead; the support agent said (and I paraphrase): Hi there, let me transfer you to a SoundPaint support agent. So yes - it does look that way.

Maybe Spectrasonics; and I've never seen Serum on sale, but not sure if any of Xfer's other products have been on sale.

Yes - it's nice to know I can pick them up a bit later after Black Friday.

Beat me to it. The Xfer dev never puts Serum on sale, yet it's widely loved and used, and has a lot of third-party preset support. I've had Cthulhu for years, and don't remember him ever putting that on sale, either.

The American marketing sales culture of over-pricing "list/MSRP", and then putting the item "on sale" at a profitable price drove me nuts. That's one reason (and not the only one) that I loved Subarus. The price was the price. Over Christmas, you could select one of five charities to receive $250 in their "Share The Love" event. And they do do some 0% financing deals at the end of the model year for a line that will have an updated platform the next model year (like they did for 2013 Foresters before the 2014 Forester was released (I loved my 2014, by the way)).

With Soundpaint, you decide if the instrument as it is priced is worth it to you, and purchase if it is, without a single worry that it will go on sale at some point later. I'm OK with that approach.

8dio on the other hand...

And then there's the perpetual sale. I was managing a project in Honolulu that required 14 trips to the island over an 18 month period. I'd fly in on Sunday and back to Chicago on Friday. I always stayed at the same hotel. There was a small jewelry store in the lobby that had a "50% Off" sales sign that was so old, it was falling apart. Made me laugh. But its condition wasn't enough to stop one guy I met at the pool from bragging that he'd bought his wife a gift at that shop that he "saved" 50% on. I didn't have the heart or mean-spiritedness to clue him in.

Edited by John Maar

On 10/29/2021 at 3:21 PM, chris.r said:

I liked the Jupiter 8 demo video then checked for the price. If it's $80 and will never go on sale then, well, I'll be probably saving for it and always spending on something else currently going on sale, effectively never owning this one. Life is too short.

Was just wondering if there is an upgrade path in case I'd want to buy the Jupiter - Standard version (non UDS) $30 now and upgrade anytime later. Is there any info about it?

The other thing in question is how much does it take my hard disc real estate. They say it's 84,4GB of samples, I don't believe it's going to take that much of disk space otherwise I'd have to wipe out all of my other libraries.😅

Edited by chris.r

9 minutes ago, chris.r said:

I'm not a fan of Arturia's synths in general.

Regarding Arturia's emulations, I think that was the general opinion back when they were all on v1. But the Jup-8 is up to v4 now. IMO,  Arturia synths are now decently comparable to the best virtual analogs available. Very nice, in fact!

• Like 2

I really liked the Soundpaint Jupiter sound in the long video. I could shell out $30 for it if there is an upgrade path. Since there are no plans for sale I can wait with it until I swap my current NVMe for a bigger :D  IK's J8 has to wait too, anyway.

• 2 weeks later...