Goodbye Mesa Boogie?

SteveStrummerUK

Good riddance, I say.
Mesa had gotten a really bad reputation in the recent years for blocking and going after anyone that criticized their products. If some of you are not aware, there has the infamous Cab Clone incident where Anderton's (who is an authorized Mesa dealer) did a video about the Cab Clone and were honest about it saying they didn't like the product and that it wasn't very good (because it was a piece of crap). What followed was Mesa demanding Anderton's to take the video out and redo it displaying the product in a positive view with a Mesa demonstrator under the threat of removing the store from their list of authorized dealers. Not agreeing with that (Lee never hid the fact that Mesa did this and even posted comments on the new video explaining the situation), they did make the new video with the demonstrator. After that and many criticisms, they released the second version of the Cab Clone which, surprisingly, was made by Two Notes, not Mesa.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees this acquisition as a potentially bad thing.

I love Boogie amps. I wish I could afford a new one, but my used DC3 does the job.

My initial concern when I saw the news yesterday was that I hope Gibson doesn't drop Boogie on its head like they did Cakewalk.

Was Mesa Boogie in financial trouble? I know what the press release says, but that's always the glossy front a company spins to make everything look good.

Anyway, I know this forum is more light-hearted and punny, but just wanted to share.

I worked a bit for GC years ago at a store that carried Boogie. Boogie wouldn't allow discounts, no exceptions. They were the only vendor that did that.

My dream is Boogie amps keep their unique quality and their prices go down, a lot. Shh, don't wake me up!

13 hours ago, razor7music said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees this acquisition as a potentially bad thing.

I love Boogie amps. I wish I could afford a new one, but my used DC3 does the job.

My initial concern when I saw the news yesterday was that I hope Gibson doesn't drop Boogie on its head like they did Cakewalk.

Was Mesa Boogie in financial trouble? I know what the press release says, but that's always the glossy front a company spins to make everything look good.

Anyway, I know this forum is more light-hearted and punny, but just wanted to share.

I worked a bit for GC years ago at a store that carried Boogie. Boogie wouldn't allow discounts, no exceptions. They were the only vendor that did that.

My dream is Boogie amps keep their unique quality and their prices go down, a lot. Shh, don't wake me up!

Mesa has been in a hard spot recently did to their aggressive stance on criticism and overall lack of innovation in face of an ever increasing amount of amp manufacturers offering what they make for less and at equivalent quality. As a side note, they shouldn't have released their 3 channel Mark IIC+ as a John Petrucci signature model. That limited the scope of the product and made many people go somewhere else when what they were looking was the product the JP2C is. There's also the Cab Clone inside mentioned earlier and their overall stance on criticism mentioned earlier. You could also argue that discontinuing certain affordable products left them striped for cash. The vast majority of working musicians can't afford to maintain and ship those huge heavy amps and are either going smaller or digital, two things Mesa stopped offering. Sure, there was the Badlander, but the timing was a bit miscalculated, considering the amp is essentially a EVH copy and was released shortly after Eddie's passing. You can't sustain that model forever. Look what happened to Dean trying to live off Dimebag Darrell, his legacy and death.

13 hours ago, paulo said:
On 1/9/2021 at 12:19 AM, SteveStrummerUK said:

⬆️ ⬆️    Proof positive that Bapsi is sometimes not unfunny 😊

Could be just dumb luck though..... give a monkey a typewriter and all that.😀

Edward has a VST typewriter.

And possibly a whole flock/herd/gaggle of VST monkeys.

This might not end well.

'Three be or not three be' and all that.