Smoother scrolling when zoomed in, Please!

Will.

Feature request for a more smoother and controlled scroll, to all "scrolling functions" in Cakewalk. 

It's impossible to scroll to the next chords or bar in Cakewalk. 

It's currently doing this extremely aggressively with a step scroll and taking the window to unnecessary empty space in the timeline. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo
  • Like 2
  • Great Idea 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi @Will_Kaydo, I can't say that I've noticed a scrolling problem. I zoom in to Track View so that 1 bar takes up most of the width of the view, and Ctrl-Scroll on the mouse wheel moves the window, not smoothly, no, but in small enough increments that it really doesn't seem to be a problem.

How are you zooming? To what degree? How are you scrolling?

1 hour ago, Colin Nicholls said:

Ctrl-Scroll on the mouse wheel moves the window, not smoothly, no, but in small enough increments.

And Bingo! There's your problem. 

Zoom in to a note on a midi clip, then scroll without pressing the Ctrl button. 

That increment step scroll needs to be smooth too. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo

8 hours ago, Colin Nicholls said:

@Will_Kaydo, it seems fine to me. But I'm using Ctrl-ScrollWheel.

OK stupid question but how do you horizontal scroll without using Ctrl?

CW_TV_Zoom_Scroll.gif

Hi colin.

I'm all too familiar with this / and that is still too aggressive. 

Scrolling is the most basic function in any application. It shouldn't be a command key step to begin with, and yet: still not up to standard. How many times has your DAW crash while using that? 

Cakewalk has way too many "Commands step" to do a simple task. Way more than the platform it runs on for basic functionality, thereby hindering in unstable. Every where in windows scrolling is done in seconds with a one click function / not with increment steps. 

I appreciate that you're trying to help, I mean it, and im familiar with all the keyboard shortcuts Cakewalk has. 

My request is still valid though. Smoother controlled scrolling is needed +1000! 

9 minutes ago, Colin Nicholls said:

Never.

No worries. Maybe the Bakers will figure out a way to meet your needs in future versions. A valid request, even if I personally haven't felt the need for it 🙂

That's a good tip, Colin! 👌

For quicker access for ya'll and for posterity's sake (in case Colin's blog ever goes away): create two nodes, drag a selection outside the nodes and then drag downwards - voilá, you have slopes on both sides as Cakewalk will add nodes to the outer selection.