I Don't Wanna go Outside

Bruno de Souza Lino

This song was originally meant to be a submission for a song contest hosted by Orchestral Tools with the theme "outside", but I missed the deadline to send it.

I don't quite remember what I used for guitar, but the drums are DrumGizmo making use of its humanizing feature with some manual tweaking of velocities and timing, as well as adding things like ghost notes and such.

Spectrogram was done with ffmpeg using some pretty large commands that spit out the video with the audio added to it and the effect.

On 1/6/2021 at 6:22 PM, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

humanizer settings are a bit too extreme

There's some timing issues, I think, in a couple spots.
Mix wise a little judicious eq would clean up  a little mud here and there.
If I were mixing (and this a purely "taste" thing), a little ambiance on the guitars.

t

2 minutes ago, DeeringAmps said:

There's some timing issues, I think, in a couple spots.
Mix wise a little judicious eq would clean up  a little mud here and there.
If I were mixing (and this a purely "taste" thing), a little ambiance on the guitars.

t

All "timing issues" are result of the plugin (DrumGizmo) simulating a drummer whose time is not very accurate.

• Like 1

Getting a good drum track is a time consuming process for those of us who are NOT drummers.
Personally I have a small fortune invested in EZD and Superior 3 and lots of Toon's midi packs.
Even with the enhanced search functions in both, its a nerve wracking process trying to get it right.

t

3 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

Getting a good drum track is a time consuming process for those of us who are NOT drummers.
Personally I have a small fortune invested in EZD and Superior 3 and lots of Toon's midi packs.
Even with the enhanced search functions in both, its a nerve wracking process trying to get it right.

t

I write all my drum parts by hand, even having a midi keyboard on hand. Once that's done, I go back and adjust velocities on things, then timing. I avoid those ready to go patterns in drum software. They never sound right, they're too static and you end up sounding like everyone, because they're all using the same patterns.

On 1/6/2021 at 6:04 AM, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

This song was originally meant to be a submission for a song contest hosted by Orchestral Tools with the theme "outside", but I missed the deadline to send it.

I don't quite remember what I used for guitar, but the drums are DrumGizmo making use of its humanizing feature with some manual tweaking of velocities and timing, as well as adding things like ghost notes and such.

Spectrogram was done with ffmpeg using some pretty large commands that spit out the video with the audio added to it and the effect.

I like it!