ASIO crashing cakewalk, win 10

CHRIS RUTH

Question

Hi

I recently installed cakewalk, was formerly using Sonar home studio.

When i switch the driver mode to ASIO, Cakewalk crashes. It does not respond to anything until i reset the driver to something else.

I read on the Cakewalk help site that ASIO was the preferred driver mode. Is this true? 

Anyway it should not crash the software. Running it on a new windows 10 laptop.

MME and Wasapi work. 

I am trying to get the best sound quality I can, recording through a Blue Mic

thanks 

13 answers to this question

ASIO drivers need to be installed. You get them from the manufacturer of your audio interface. ASIO is by far the best driver to use so this is why it is highly recommended to purchase a proper audio interface for recording audio with a DAW. You can playback and work with midi using WASAPI but recording audio you will need an interface. They start at only $ 50 and go up. It all depends on how many ins and out you need 

if the Blue Mike is USB it is probably using a class compliant audio driver. Those types of mikes are for podcasts not professional recording 

Edited by John Vere

thanks for the replies! I have a DAW(USB Pre2). I can connect the mic via usb (then it should use it's own driver) or through the DAW. Either way it crashes when I select ASIO. Also i made sure i downloaded the latest driver for the DAW. 

i got ASIO driver mode to work but i cannot record. When i click the record button i get nothing, but i'm seeing the level changes on the DAW interface so i know the mic is working, here are the settings. Is this something to do with Windows settings?

image.thumb.png.fbebef036fe6649574750a814807cf34.png

its working now. The only things i did were disable all the input and output drivers i did not want to use, in preferences,

and in the window 'sound' control panel. I'm afraid it may go back to not working though.

Anyway, thanks for helping!!! 

@CHRIS RUTH

In your screenshot of the Track inspector input setting I see what looks like Stereo. Don't use stereo to record a mono mike. You will end up with a left or right sided stereo track.  Use the input the mike is plugged into . it might be marked as 

Left -Interface name- ASIO- Mike 1      = input 1    Cakewalk records a mono track

Right - Interface name-ASIO - Mike 1  = input  2    Cakewalk records a mono track 

Stereo-Interface name-ASIO - Mike 1  = input 1& 2 Cakewalk records a stereo track  Useful for recording stereo sources like drum machines and keyboards but not mono sources like a mike or guitar. 

Also looks like the track output is going directly to your interface. Normally we send all tracks to a master bus then that goes to your interface. That way you can control the overall level of the project. 

Everything looks OK in the first screen shot other than the round trip latency seems real high for that buffer setting. I guess that because it's an old interface. If you keep having issues it might be time to upgrade.  

A shot of the audio devices and sync and cashing page might be handy . 

Edited by John Vere

56 minutes ago, John Vere said:

@CHRIS RUTH

In your screenshot of the Track inspector input setting I see what looks like Stereo. Don't use stereo to record a mono mike. You will end up with a left or right sided stereo track.  Use the input the mike is plugged into . it might be marked as 

Left -Interface name- ASIO- Mike 1      = input 1    Cakewalk records a mono track

Right - Interface name-ASIO - Mike 1  = input  2    Cakewalk records a mono track 

Stereo-Interface name-ASIO - Mike 1  = input 1& 2 Cakewalk records a stereo track  Useful for recording stereo sources like drum machines and keyboards but not mono sources like a mike or guitar. 

Also looks like the track output is going directly to your interface. Normally we send all tracks to a master bus then that goes to your interface. That way you can control the overall level of the project. 

Everything looks OK in the first screen shot other than the round trip latency seems real high for that buffer setting. I guess that because it's an old interface. If you keep having issues it might be time to upgrade.  

A shot of the audio devices and sync and cashing page might be handy . 

We don't know which Blue mic it is, but none of them are stereo afaik.