New Install (How to get all the Sonar Gear)

Heinz Hupfer

Question

HI:)

My last New Install has been 2012 with Windows 8, so I now (in Corona times) decided to make a second Complete New Install (Some Problems with Windows, not Cakewalk and a lot of dust I think) on another disk.

Now the question: Do I have to install Sonar first to get all the things which I bought with Sonar? 

If not, how do I get all this good old stuff installed? I still own the Serials of everything, but then how to register/activate?

Or just copy  some directories of the existing Installation?

Thanks a lot;)

Bassman.

8 answers to this question

Cakewalk activation servers are still running.

Here is a similar thread

The key is to know what needs to be installed in order and what happens if they are not. 

The condensed version is

• advanced install using minimal installation of X2+X2a to get V-Vocal (there is an video in the thread about this)
  • install at least the Platinum program
  • install CbB

That is it for the items to install in order. Installing out of order usually means the most recent version of shared utilities is overwritten. The quick fix is uninstall and reinstall CbB.

At your leisure and in no particular order run the Platinum plug-in installers and use the advanced install option for X3 and older as needed to pick up plug-ins as needed.

• Like 1

I did just that with a new build last month - complete install (except for tutorials) of X2, X2a, X3, X3e, Platinum 2017.10 and finally CbB 2020.11.

While I install the synths, the sample libraries are copied from older machines. This insures all the extra libraries are installed.

• Thanks 1

I’ll add to this that while it’s best practices to install in order of release version I just went through a process of digging up missing components for my second computer I hadn’t been using much. 
A year ago I rebuilt my office machine and only installed CbB and the basics that came with it. 
A bit later I had to run CCC and installed everything from Splat.

I found myself wanting to some editing on this machine and as the weeks went by I kept finding missing plug ins. Most are simply a matter of grabbing the installers but some were tied to old versions. 

i had no problem installing as far back as 8.5 and getting stuff like v vocal.  So bottom line is I don’t think it is the end of the world if you don’t go in sequence and find later on needing something else. Just pay real close attention to the dialogue as you install the old version.  

Install older SONAR DAWs out of order at your peril. It can result in shared folders being overwritten. The fix for this is re-installing CbB. 

Installing plug-ins either using the separate Platinum installers or advanced install options is relatively safe. Although it is possible to overwrite newer plug-ins with older versions. While not a great idea, it is not the problem old shared folders can be.

7 hours ago, John Vere said:

I’ll add to this that while it’s best practices to install in order of release version I just went through a process of digging up missing components for my second computer I hadn’t been using much. 
A year ago I rebuilt my office machine and only installed CbB and the basics that came with it. 
A bit later I had to run CCC and installed everything from Splat.

I found myself wanting to some editing on this machine and as the weeks went by I kept finding missing plug ins. Most are simply a matter of grabbing the installers but some were tied to old versions. 

i had no problem installing as far back as 8.5 and getting stuff like v vocal.  So bottom line is I don’t think it is the end of the world if you don’t go in sequence and find later on needing something else. Just pay real close attention to the dialogue as you install the old version.  

V-Vocal can be found in up to X2, it being the last Roland version of SONAR.

On 1/5/2021 at 1:17 PM, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

You might also want to install X3 to have Perfect Space, Vintage Channel and some of the synths that were left behind, like Pentagon.

My mistake. Vintage Channel is on X2. X3 is for Perfect Space, LP 64 EQ and MB as well as Pentagon I.

Edited by Bruno de Souza Lino