Midi Latency in one project, but not others

Firebird

All,

New to the forum but have been using cakewalk since the old green midi only version.  I am running the latest version of Cakewalk by band lab now on a windows 10  machine with a  i7 8th gen chip and 12 gig memory.  I'm using a Solid State SSL 2+ interface.  I use multiple VSTs and audio samples for all of my projects.  Most of  the time it runs fine. 

I have a project that was fine until today when after opening it began to have latency to the point where I can hit a key on my controller and say the word "one" to myself before I hear the note on the instrument VST play.  This amount of latency is the same for all tracks no matter what VST is being played or in use. 

If I open any other project it works fine.  Go back into this project and it's the same issue.   Restart the machine and re-open the project and it has the same issue. 

The project is light right now with 14 tracks.  There are only 5 audio samples and 4 midi instruments playing at one time.  There are also 4 FX VSTs.

The buffer size is set at 1024 samples, but even if I set it at 256 samples it only slightly improves. 

Thoughts on what I should look for in this project to find what's causing the issue?