MIDI 2.0 Spec info (no deal)

Lemar Sain

Full MIDI 2.0 specifications from the MMA

PRESS RELEASE: Back in 1983, musical instrument companies that competed fiercely against one another nonetheless banded together to create a visionary specification—MIDI 1.0, the first universal Musical Instrument Digital Interface. Nearly four decades on, it’s clear that MIDI was crafted so well that it has remained viable and relevant. Its ability to join computers, music, and the arts has become an essential part of live performance, recording, smartphones, and even stage lighting.

Now, MIDI 2.0 takes the specification even further, while retaining backward compatibility with the MIDI 1.0 gear and software already in use. Here’s why MIDI 2.0 is the biggest advance in music technology in decades.

Full article found here

https://rastsound.com/midi-2-0/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

It reminds me of very good films (first episode). Episode #2 is almost acceptable, but just a shade of the first one. Beginning from #3 it is barely a rip-off!

Also if I look at the evolution of programming tools, e.g. Java, it is quite the same! First, very good idea, then there come the technocrats and clerks, blow it up and destroy the outstanding simplicity of the beginning. The way is free for the next good idea, because this one has died! 😄

On 1/4/2021 at 8:59 AM, Lemar Sain said:

Full MIDI 2.0 specifications from the MMA

PRESS RELEASE: Back in 1983, musical instrument companies that competed fiercely against one another nonetheless banded together to create a visionary specification—MIDI 1.0, the first universal Musical Instrument Digital Interface. Nearly four decades on, it’s clear that MIDI was crafted so well that it has remained viable and relevant. Its ability to join computers, music, and the arts has become an essential part of live performance, recording, smartphones, and even stage lighting.

Now, MIDI 2.0 takes the specification even further, while retaining backward compatibility with the MIDI 1.0 gear and software already in use. Here’s why MIDI 2.0 is the biggest advance in music technology in decades.

Full article found here

https://rastsound.com/midi-2-0/

Wasn't this longer in coming to fruition than SampleTank 3?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, InstrEd said:

In a few years we will be wondering how did we live without this.

It is like with most changes, like in evolution, most mutations extinct, because only a very small number is really successful! And engineering is no exception to the rule!

I just understand that 2.0 ...

• is very sophisticated, i.e. more possible issues with gear and software from different vendors.
  • has more granular settings and data, i.e. it needs more power even for nothing. In the end there is a human, a musician that has to control the data and if it grows that makes it more difficult! Just look at Vsti samples, most instruments do even not support 128 different layers, what is the profit to have more dynamic layers?
  • is usb only, i.e. less safe connections compared to the past.
  • will engage all the software and hardware companies a 1000s of hours, i.e. we have to pay for it even if we don't profit, we get a lot of changes (new bugs...) and other important changes are being delayed.

I am sure there will be much more! This is only a small list of consequences! The reason why the old MIDI has survived for such a long time is the simplicity  of its specification, because it is not that sophisticated like 2.0. But we'll see, we will not be spared! I expect something like VST3 that in the end caused more harm than facilitation for the musicians. Such things are often more for the freaks and the developers themselves, not for the customers!

6 minutes ago, Piotr said:

hm, why you are assuming usb only ? I think it is different, higher  layer of protocol independent on more physical layers...

It's being said in the video above, or I have misunderstood! 😄

7 minutes ago, marled said:

It's being said in the video above, or I have misunderstood! 😄

Let me answer to this with quoting of part of MIDI 2.0 specification:

1.1 Reliance Upon Other Specifications
Implementers should understand that this Specification is not a stand-alone document, in the following
regards:
• The UMP Format sections describe a transport-independent payload format, not necessarily the low-level
data format that will actually be used “on the wire” or “over the air” for any particular standardized
transport (such as USB, UDP, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, etc.). MMA/AMEI expect that for every standardized
transport that uses the UMP Format, a separate specification will exist to define how to carry UMP
payload data for that standardized transport. See also Section 2.1.1.1

I interested in the 16 banks of MIDI.  Could be useful for setting up templates for Orchestration type music. Also maybe not for us but the lighting for shows could really do some killer lighting themes say at a Las Vegas venue.  Either way it surely did take them a long time.