Cant use two USB interfaces

david pearce

Ive been using Cakewalk by Bandlab (Windows 10) for a few weeks without issues with my Yamaha MODX. I use this as both audio and midi interface. I can record midi tracks, and then use the MODX to record them as audio. The MODX works as an audio device.

A few days ago i brought a Scarlett Solo and thats working fine outside of Cakewalk, but as soon as i launch Cakewalk it becomes the default audio in/out and the Yamaha gets grey’ed out. I cant enable them. Midi is still working (this is over USB), but i cant bounce the midi down to audio unless I physically disconnect the Scarlett. 
I dont want to use the Scarlett at all, so its really annoying. 

I also have Cubase Elements 11 and have no such issues. Either can be used without effecting the other.
Just wondering if anyone knows a setting that needs to be changed? I’d like to go over to Cakewalk full time but not if i have to do this each time.

Most Asio drivers only support one device at a time, that of the device manufacturer.

Win10 did introduce better standard drivers but Asio is still usually preferred as I understand it.

If Cubase works and you are satisfied with it, find out what drivers it is using, then select those in Cakewalk.

Both sets of drivers and devices work perfectly in Cakewalk. Im using the same drivers in Cubase. I’m not trying to use both at the same time, and each device has its own drivers. I only want to use the Yamaha drivers so I can use  my MODX as Audio in and out. I don’t need the Scarlett at all at the moment. 
The problem is the Scarlett keeps butting in and making itself the default audio driver. When I posted I could find no way to change back to Yamaha, as it was grey’ed out and disabled in the relevant section in Settings. 
I just figured out I need to turn the Scarlett off as the Output device first, and this then allowed me to change back to the Yamaha drivers for in and out.  Previously I was only turning input off. And this made no difference other than turning off the Scarlett if that makes sense. It never let me enable the Yamaha. 

To change ASIO drivers, deselect both input and output in preferences. Then the program will allow a new selection.

Alternately, temporarily renaming the Scarlett driver will force Cakewalk to select the Yamaha driver.

Changing the order of the drivers in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ASIO work too. I do not have a second ASIO driver to test.

I switch interfaces all the time. I just turn off the one and turn on the other.  Depends on interface but most if Cakewalk is running will tell me I just disconnected ( ignore) and when the second interface is turned on asked if I want to use it.  This is dead simply.  Number one reason to make sure the interface you buy has an on/ off switch 

Thanks for all the replies. To be clear, its all working fine once i figured out i needed to untick the Output device drivers first. Ticking the Input didnt get me very far as the Yamaha drivers were still locked out of the system. I can now freely switch between the two interfaces. 

I was never trying to run two devices from one set of drivers. Each device has an up to date working driver. 

• Like 1

The correct driver to use is WASAPI shared, ASIO4all is not needed anymore since WASAPI came out a few years ago. Asio4all was a good alternative until then. But it tends to interfere with proper ASIO drivers so is avoided by most.  

The OP does not need to stop using proper ASIO drivers. That is a bad idea in general. You need ASIO to have proper sync between overdubs. Don't believe,, me, try a loop back test in ASIO and then in any other mode. Those other modes will come back late or even sometimes early on the time line. 

As I said, I have used up to 3 different ASIO devices in turn with Cakewalk. I simply turn on the one I want and keep the others shut off. What's so hard about that? 

I have also used them together for recording multi track live bands and then I switch to WASAPI shared and I can have about 20 tracks recording. 

Recording and working with editing and playback is no problem in WASAPI or WDM mode but do not attempt to overdub new tracks. 

An aspect of this thread is the OP mentions Yamaha, I used to do above said recordings with a Yamaha USB 2trk. mixer in tandem with my Tascam us1641 without issue in WDM mode. This was before WASAPI came out. That Yamaha used Steinberg's ASIO driver and was very good. But I think some Yamaha gear like the Modx might use the Steinberg Generic USB driver which is really asio4all in disguise. It is another nasty beast that will take over your timing master in Cakewalk.  This might be part of the problem. 

To the OP- You should use the Scarlett for everything possible. Mine is even my windows playback, its all I use. Only use the Yamaha for recording it's audio. If your just recording midi, then you don't need it as your audio interface. The midi is a seperate driver.

Yamaha makes good stuff and they usually have audio and midi figured out. My Yamaha gear all still works and some is from the 80's . And Scarletts are one of the best interfaces and ASIO drivers on the market right now. Unless you feel like spending $1000 on a RME.. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 2

Thanks of the tips etc.

I do have it all working as I want it now. As far as Daw work goes, i only need the Solo to play back mixes, i don’t need it for recording, so I’m happy to just switch over at the end. Out of the Daw it will do all the audio duties. 

I have/had an old 2i4 that has been my only Windows interface/audio device for years. I recently lent this out to a mate as my MODX took over. The MODX can do midi and audio both ways over USB, so it worked well as a do it all device. Just plug headphones in to the MODX and everything passes through it. The drivers are Steinberg drivers but dont seem to be causing any issues. Its the Focusrite drivers that caused me issues. Ive used ASIO4ALL in the past but never had good results with it compared to the OEM drivers i should have used. 

I needed an interface for recording vocals so got the Solo. It works perfectly, as does the MODX, but i was surprised it was locking the Yamaha drivers out. I’d say part of this was user error, as i didn’t realise i needed to change the Output drivers first. That doesn't explain why after a week using Cakewalk with the MODX it suddenly wanted to use the Focusrite drivers. Installing the Solo went fine but did knock the MODX drivers out a bit. I had to re install those so maybe this was where the change happened, although I didn’t open Cakewalk during this time (i used Cubase to test the Solo). 

On 1/4/2021 at 8:18 PM, Giorgio Gabriel said:

I am not 100% sure, but probably selecting WDM instead of ASIO you could use more than one interface at the same time.

If you don't need super low latency it could work.

Bye,

Giorgio

Thanks but thats not what I’m looking to do.