V vocal x3? Or before?

John Vere

I’m trying to set my upstairs office computer up with every my Studio machine has I’m almost done but I just opened a old project and the vocals are silent because they show as v vocal tracks. I guess I didn’t render them  
I thought if I installed x3 it should be there but my version was X3c studio and has Melodyne single track.  I think I tossed out my X1 LE disk. I have 8.5 somewhere hidden on a back up hard drive. 
Questioneas there ever a download file for this or was it always embedded. Is it hidden in X3 studio ? 

Well the V Vocal doesn't show on the list of options during custom install so I unchecked everything and installed 8.5. 

I ran the scan in CbB and nothing shows but VVocal appeared in the project so I guess it's really imbedded in the software. 

Man check this old beast out. Talk about a clean interface.. I tried to navigate and I am now totally lost.  2021-01-03.thumb.png.f399d1cc707581e8cbb55b47c333bf17.png

If you registered your copy of X1 LE, you should be able to download it from www.cakewalk.com with your old Cakewalk login details.

I used V-Vocal a couple of weeks ago on another machine, as I was backing up my DAW PC at the time else I'd have used Melodyne.  That machine has X1, Platinum and CbB on it, so the V-Vocal must have come from X1.

Took me ages to work out how to use it again! But the results were great.

• Like 1

@msmcleod  thanks I didn’t know there was a download for x1.  I think I made an ISO copy and it’s ferreted away on a forgotten backup drive somewhere. But I guess I better sort that out. I got X1LE free with My Roland keyboard. It was so different and sort of a step down from 8.5 producer version I use right up until X3e came out .  So I never used it. 

Back then during the X1, X2 era the old form was so many people struggling  so I just waited it out. People seemed happy with X3 so I climbed back on board and soon was flying hi with Splat. 

Just like a few posters here I tried Melodyne and would return to using V Vocal.  But just last month when they offered the upgrade to version 5 for $99. Before I committed I watched the videos and quickly saw how I was not doing this right.  Within a few days I feel like I’ve got a very good grasp on it and have spent a lot of time editing boners and even whole vocal tracks. I m a believer now it’s now part of my workflow 

https://shop.celemony.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/CelemonyShop.woa  

looks like it’s still $99 on the Celemony site. They made a bunch of improvements with this release. You can use the license on 2 machines too.  It’s not exactly intuitive to use. Tools icons are weird and really small.   But once I learned the navigation and how to access the different tools it became easier.  
Thats. Why I stayed with v vocal as I found it very intuitive to use.
 I won’t be using it again but I realize I never rendered the tracks I used it on. So I need it just to perform the rendering 

12 hours ago, John Vere said:

I didn’t know there was a download for x1.  I think I made an ISO copy and it’s ferreted away on a forgotten backup drive somewhere.

Sonar pre X-series (8.5 and earlier) - the installers were shipped on disk, no downloads as far as I know.

Sonar X1, X2, and X3 - No disk installers, only downloaded from your old account as far as I know. Some changes to add-ons between X2 and  X3: Roland VVocal was dropped between X2 and X3 due to the Roland/Gibson transition. Nomad Factory Blue Tubes were added, and a number of legacy Cakewalk FX were dropped. R-Mix was dropped. AAS Session instruments were new for X3.

Sonar Platinum - installer downloads from either your old account, or via Cakewalk Command Center. The Cakewalk "Connected" era began.

Note: this info should be accurate as far as Producer/Platinum editions. Don't have the details for Artist or Professional, or others...

Edited by abacab

1 hour ago, abacab said:

Sonar pre X-series (8.5 and earlier) - the installers were shipped on disk, no downloads as far as I know.

The SONAR 8.5 upgrade was the first available as a download.

In order to reduce the size of the file, an accommodation made for slow internet access, the files common to SONAR 8 were not part of the download.

As a result, the downloadable SONAR 8.5 upgrade relies on an existing SONAR 8 install.

All download versions after SONAR 8.5 were the full retail product.

I do not recall if X1 shipped on disk  or not (I believe there were disks for it).

It is the first version I purchased as a download but it was also the first time I waited until several updates were released.

In fact, I did not purchase X1 until Producer Expanded was released a little after the X1e update.

On the subject of the OP, V-Vocal is a DX format plug-in but it is not implemented as a regular plug-in intended for use in the FX Rack. 

This is why Cronus is on the Exclude list.

The plug-in was bundled as part of the SONAR core.

This means V-Vocal normally requires installing the DAW to get the plug-in.

There is a drop down on the Advanced Install pick list providing for a "Minimal Installation". 

This option creates the smallest footprint for a functional DAW including V-Vocal.

V-Vocal was bundled with SONAR 5 Producer through X2 Producer (thanks to @abacab for compiling the SONAR plug-in spreadsheet).

13 hours ago, John Vere said:

https://shop.celemony.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/CelemonyShop.woa  

looks like it’s still $99 on the Celemony site. They made a bunch of improvements with this release. You can use the license on 2 machines too.  It’s not exactly intuitive to use. Tools icons are weird and really small.   But once I learned the navigation and how to access the different tools it became easier.  
Thats. Why I stayed with v vocal as I found it very intuitive to use.
 I won’t be using it again but I realize I never rendered the tracks I used it on. So I need it just to perform the rendering 

The latest version of Essential removed the Audio to MIDI conversion feature. You need the next version high up for that.

26 minutes ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

The latest version of Essential removed the Audio to MIDI conversion feature. You need the next version high up for that.

I'm pretty sure its still there when used via Cakewalk - i.e. dragging audio to a MIDI track.

https://www.celemony.com/en/melodyne/what-can-melodyne-do

Scroll down the page and there is the comparison chart. 

You are correct according to that list-   The list just say's Export audio to midi. Possibly the feature in Cakewalk still works as Mark said. I can't test it because I have Assistant and it works for me. I used it 2 days ago.  Now a dialog pops up asking you which algorithm you want to use- there are now 6 choices.  

I remember using the last version of Home Studio and was surprised that this features worked because Melodyne was not included as a regional effect. I think the conversion is a feature built into Aria- Cakewalk via special  licensing.  

On Black Friday  week I upgrade from Essentials to Assistant for $99. This is regularly $299 so heck of a deal. I guess I was wrong about the $99 that's the regular price. Anyways, everybody should have got that same email from them so you snooze you loose. Even though they are bit annoying I keep my email options ticked on a few plug in vendor sites. I have netted a lot of very cheap and free stuff this way. 

FYI I found as Mark said my copy of X1 on the My Products page of the old site. I hadn't bothered to download it as back then my internet was limited. I now have a copy stored locally.  I'll use that instead of 8.5.  Interestingly that disk came with a Roland product shows I bought in 2015 by then probably x3 was out. 

Edited by John Vere

1 hour ago, msmcleod said:

I'm pretty sure its still there when used via Cakewalk - i.e. dragging audio to a MIDI track.

Yes it is! Confirmed Audio to MIDI conversion feature in Cakewalk. Melodyne never appeared, but Cakewalk asked me which algorithm to use.

* I only have Melodyne Essentials installed.

The pic at the bottom:

Track 1 - Audio loop of acoustic guitar (from Sonar loops library)

Track 2 - MIDI conversion of audio loop dragged to MIDI track

Track 3 - Instrument track receiving MIDI data from track 2 (Ample Guitar M II Lite)

Track 4 - Audio recording of instrument playing MIDI data on track 2

The playback is in tune and on time when both audio tracks are played back together, and the sound is very close.

Select Algo.PNG

Select Algo pull down.PNG

LaLlorona Guitar Loop converted to MIDI.PNG

Edited by abacab

@abacab   @msmcleod

So here's a question: Did people have to go through the steps to upgrade to Melodyne Essentials  5  or did the last update of CbB take care of that? 

One thing I found interesting is that while you are installing the upgrade/Update,  it mentions iLok account. I have iLok  which Izotope and Air products are handled with,  but I don't see Melodyne.  And it never asked for any serial number even though the upgrade uses a new number. I was expecting to enter it on first run, but nope. Seems to know who I am on both computers.  

Edited by John Vere

I upgraded my SONAR X3 Melodyne Essential 2 to Melodyne Essential 4, then bought an upgrade to Melodyne Editor 4 pretty quickly because I wanted polyphonic editing ( I've got this nasty habit of fingering too hard on the guitar pulling the strings slightly out of tune - Melodyne sorts this out!).

IIRC I authorised on my laptop first, then managed to use my 2nd authorisation on iLok... I was lucky, 'cos if I'd have done the iLok first, it would have taken up both authorisations.

I later upgraded my Studio One Melodyne Essentials 4 to Editor as well, and put that on my other iLok.

When I upgraded to Melodyne 5, it merged both Editor licenses into one.

Apart from the initial install of X3's Melodyne, I think all the upgrades were done via Melodyne itself.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, msmcleod said:

For a few months, the built-in Cakewalk audio-to-midi conversion on my PC has gone through the motions of conversion (based on the Transport display) but has left the midi track without midi data.  It used to work.  I didn't explore it further and I didn't report it.  I decided to not rely on it any more.  I can't say whether or not it still works for others.

Just now, User 905133 said:

For a few months, the built-in Cakewalk audio-to-midi conversion on my PC has gone through the motions of conversion (based on the Transport display) but has left the midi track without midi data.  It used to work.  I didn't explore it further and I didn't report it.  I decided to not rely on it any more.  I can't say whether or not it still works for others.

That's usually because the algorithm isn't set, or isn't set properly. This was a known issue with earlier versions of Melodyne where it was losing it's default algorithm.

If you're running the latest CbB and the latest version of Melodyne 5, you'll get a dialog asking you to choose the algorithm. 

If you've not got the very latest version of Melodyne 5, you can set the default algorithm by either:

1. Opening Melodyne standalone and setting it there; or
2. Creating a region FX (so it opens up Melodyne) and setting it there.

• Thanks 1