What songs give you goosebumps when you listen to them?

craigb

The idea for this thread came out of a couple of posts in the "Listening" thread.  I was originally going to just target the vocals (and I definitely would love to hear some submission from you with unreal vocals!) but, sometimes, there's more to a song that sends you into orbit.  Heck, sometimes it's just a part of a song!  When Teri Nunn from Berlin sings "Sorry!" on the 1983 song Metro I still get that chill up my spine.

Ok, you first!  What songs do it for you? 🤩

• Like 3

It is obviously a personal taste thing.

For me it's mostly slow tempo music.

With song - Barbra Streisands "Mother" - posted earlier in "Listening" thread.

Without song - THE MILITARY BAND OF THE ROYAL SCOTS DRAGOON GUARDS - AMAZING GRACE (1972)

There's lots of versions but the original is still the best. https://youtu.be/KVjftQZ9jHA

If you dislike bagpipes there will not be any goosebumps compared to me that like them and turns into a snivelling idiot with goosebumps each time i listen to them. 🥰

I listened to Liquid Diamonds with Tori Amos and did not get goosebumps. I can tell you why. First that irritating cymbal that never stfu. And that loudness. I have my pc sound on 50% together with YT videosound also set to 50% and still it comes at me aggressively up in my face. I don't like that in people why would i like it in music?

• Like 1

My Old School by Steely Dan always give me goosebumps. Especially the guitar solos. The entire song "does it all for me". Horns, drums, piano, bass it's got it all.

I even did a cover of it some years back, with some help from Daryl and his Current Mrs. Daryl, Jamesg1213 and The Straummy. With special appearance by Old55 on the "Oh No" lines.

Edited by Bapu
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

To me it is transient. I can remember brothers in arms doing it, but it isn't reliable. I'm a shifting target. Sometimes the notes hit home. Jerry Garcia Band can do it at the right moments - forever young. Bob Dylan singing about it being bad out there on the love and theft album. The right Miles moment. Blue Trane. Naima. Love supreme. Work song by almost anyone. So many Nina Simone moments, but Mississippi GD almost always. How about some brother Jack mcduff?

Edited by Gswitz

11 hours ago, Kurre said:

Without song - THE MILITARY BAND OF THE ROYAL SCOTS DRAGOON GUARDS - AMAZING GRACE (1972)

There's lots of versions but the original is still the best. https://youtu.be/KVjftQZ9jHA

If you dislike bagpipes there will not be any goosebumps compared to me that like them and turns into a snivelling idiot with goosebumps each time i listen to them.

Sometimes its not just the song and the instrument, but the association. Have been to many a fire department funeral. Always bagpipes. Always Amazing Grace. Always the ringing of the bell. It breaks you down every time.

• Like 1

Early Boston like Foreplay/Long Time gives me chills. Brad Delp's harmonies were amazing. A lot of old Gregg Rolie era Journey used to give me  chills too. Feeling That Way/Anytime is a good example. Awesome harmonies, and Neal Schon has a such a good feel for guitar.

• Like 2