Clip Comments Anyone?

imf_engineering

Thought of an idea that many others may think could be interesting and helpful within the Cakewalk DAW. The ability to throw in comments at either the session , track and\or clip level... or possibly inserted at certain times of the session. For example when tracking or mixing you could right click  a clip and create a comment about it. It could be some notes you took when listening to the track in regards to what you used to record it, maybe elaborating on something you want to add to this track (composition-wise or whatever comes to mind!). Then you can view you comments and iterate through them and either leave them there or close them out if you've solved an issue you took notes on.  Particularly when mixing this may be helpful to mark things up as you are listening, then go back and deal with those things you commented on inside the track\clip. If they were time-stamped comments, having them dump to a txt file would be real neat. This would possibly  increase the efficiency of creating and improving recorded or mix material instead of decoupling it with your own manual process of notating your sessions.

There are notes fields at the project, track and take level now.

I guess if I felt the need to add notes to an audio clip, there are free VST notes plug-ins for the clip FX rack. AFAIK. there is nothing comparable for MIDI clips.

Of course, notes plug-ins would get lost when a track is frozen or plug-ins destructively applied but I am not sure what would happen if the FR was implemented.

For me the only thing that is missing as a sort of "clip" comment is the file name and date, especially when you create clips in a program outside and want to know the version of the imported clip. Though I do this most of the time manually, sometimes I have to re-import clips just to be sure that I have their newest version!

4 hours ago, marled said:

especially when you create clips in a program outside and want to know the version of the imported clip. 

You can do this in the Browser. Just right click on the file and select properties - all from within the Browser.  

Ps: Note that it is click sensitive. It's extremely easy to rename a sample in the browser without touching it. (ONE THING I HATE ABOUT THE BROWSER SOOOOOO VERY MUCH!!!)

Wish they can fix it. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo

1 hour ago, Will_Kaydo said:

You can do this in the Browser. Just right click on the file and select properties - all from within the Browser.  

Ps: Note that it is click sensitive. It's extremely easy to rename a sample in the browser without touching it. (ONE THING I HATE ABOUT THE BROWSER SOOOOOO VERY MUCH!!!)

Wish they can fix it. 

It is not the problem to see this before I import the file, but it is not visible anymore when I have imported the file! Thus I want it either in the name or as another information to the imported clip!

19 hours ago, marled said:

It is not the problem to see this before I import the file, but it is not visible anymore when I have imported the file! Thus I want it either in the name or as another information to the imported clip!

Well, then you have to save your files accordingly. Cakewalk provides us with enough required Tags/Information on every clip, but only if it's "saved as." 

On recorded tracks it will give you the Name "Record 1/Record 2" etc. as many as it can handle. Your job as the mixing engineer or producer is to rename those takes/clips on every change you makes to it and save that mix as Mix2/3/4/5 or what ever you name it too. 

It never hurts to use the "Notes" section in the inspector pane. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Will_Kaydo said:

Well, then you have to save your files occordingly. Cakewalk provides us with enough required Tags/Information on every clip, but only if it's "saved as." 

On recorded tracks it will give you the Name "Record 1/Record 2" etc. as many as it can handle. Your job as the mixing engineer or producer is to rename those takes/clips on every change you makes to it and save that mix as Mix2/3/4/5 or what ever you name it too. 

It never hurts to use the "Notes" section in the inspector pane. 

I give up, it seems my English cannot be understood! Or maybe it is the way that I express myself! 😄

On 1/3/2021 at 6:04 PM, scook said:

There are notes fields at the project, track and take level now.

I guess if I felt the need to add notes to an audio clip, there are free VST notes plug-ins for the clip FX rack. AFAIK. there is nothing comparable for MIDI clips.

Of course, notes plug-ins would get lost when a track is frozen or plug-ins destructively applied but I am not sure what would happen if the FR was implemented.

Expanding Markers to include a text note would be nice, as a way of attaching notes to a specific moment in the timeline, which currently none of Project/Track/Take notes are able to do.

18 minutes ago, Colin Nicholls said:

Expanding Markers to include a text note would be nice, as a way of attaching notes to a specific moment in the timeline, which currently none of Project/Track/Take notes are able to do.

Not sure if that is what the OP had in mind.

On 1/3/2021 at 5:45 PM, imf_engineering said:

The ability to throw in comments at either the session , track and\or clip level... or possibly inserted at certain times of the session.

@scook, seems pretty unambiguous to me....

I think it is great that Cakewalk has notes at the project/track/lane level, but the number of times I've been playing back a project listening for "things to FIX" and keeping notepad open with MM:SS or Bar references for each note... it would be nice to have Timeline Notes.