EW Articulation map doesn't work - why?

Why is my articulation map scripting for EastWest NOT working?

I have followed the Tutorials from Tony Manfredonia, XEL OHH and Mike @Creative sauce.  I've been successful w/ my scripting for BBC, but EW is a hard nut to crack for me.  Below are the instruments I've chosen for 5 instances of EW - 1st, 2nd Violins, Viola, Celli, Bass:

Chan:1    1st VLN NV NV NV VB RR NI
Chan:2  2nd VLN Pizz RRX4
Chan3:  Viola   Spic Marc MOD
Chan4:    Celli   Tremolo NI
Chan5:    Bassi   Trill HT WT NI 

I have enclosed two images:
EW-1  Shows 3 channels responding to the incoming midi data for the 1st Vln.
EW-3  Shows my EW articulation map editor page along with tracks and the synth rack.

2 side questions:  In the articulations view the Pizz & leg are in bold print, the last 3 are not,   why?

In the generate MIDI events I don't understand why all five articulations don't all appear in the drop down list?

Can anyone see the error of my ways?  As always I appreciate the expertise of this great forum.

Thanks 
Willard    

ew-2.png

ew-3.png

Is there any reason why you've got the the Channel set to "Follow" for the first key-switch, and not the second?  Normally you'd keep them the same (usually Follow). 

If you're using "Follow", you also need to ensure the MIDI channel of your track OR the MIDI channel of your "drawn" articulation is set correctly, e.g.:

image.png.9d2d4474ba53a8cb03d113825de932d8.png

1 hour ago, willard cottrell said:

2 side questions:  In the articulations view the Pizz & leg are in bold print, the last 3 are not,   why?

Bold means the articulation is being used on one or more tracks within the project.

1 hour ago, willard cottrell said:

In the generate MIDI events I don't understand why all five articulations don't all appear in the drop down list?

The "Generate MIDI Events" section does not contain articulations. It contains the MIDI events that will be sent when you use the selected articulation.  So, within your screen-shot, you've got "Pizz" set to send a C1 on the track/articulation's MIDI channel, and a D0 on channel 2.

So if you drew a "Pizz" articulation in at measure 3, it would send a C1 and a D0 at measure 3 just before sending the other notes.

• Thanks 1

Here's how I did an articulation map for EW violins.

image.png.d19995a48d8030c38322d8735808c855.png

Each artic is set to specific midi channel.

And here are the artic maps for first 3 of 7 seven artics that drive the 1st Violin instance.  The transform entries for CC cause the modulation and expression dynamics to affect the appropriate artic.

image.png.41de60e5eac6d6317ef39660b540586b.png

image.png.213f2a578cca7b808ecb9a58458a97c3.png

image.png.96fd703dd6efc14906884a8442a00acf.png

####

I adapted my artics from this link.  The video used Cubase but same general technique applies to  Cakewalk.  If you want to download the EW multis and Cubase expression maps you can create a harmless account on his website listed in vid comments.  I did start from those, but had to add the CC transforms to mine.

• Thanks 1

SOLVED!!

Willard and I did some PMing and I'm including them here as a solution.

####

Willard

I've attached the my version of Nico's maps and multis that I used to get started with EWPlay and articulations.

It might help you to start a new Cakewalk project,

insert an instance of Play,

"Open ..." one of the attached multis (01-Vlns I.ewi) files byimage.png.9128f5242e9eec5d8e5950714a2aa562.png

Then import the "Nico EWHS Strings Vn I, Vio,Cello,DBs.artmap"

image.png.29a17634d3e83c9c6f04a63c909837dc.png

Now you can explore and play  the Vln I.

He has selected identical articulations for each of his instruments so you can use the Standard map for all except Vln II - it has extra artics for flautando and harmonics.

A side benefit is seeing which artics Nico (an accomplished media composer) has chosen for his work.

So you would end up with five simple instrument tracks, each with an instance of Play, first instance has Vln I, second has Vln II, etc.

So you put midi notes and articulation maps for only Vln I on the first instance, etc. 

#####

I can't thank you enough.  I was trying to follow your initial comments.  I've gotten your VLN 1 map to work.   It was adding another instanse of EW that didn't work.  So, I'm thinking the scripting is still the problem.  I wondered why the generate new midi events was blank.  However,  I followed the instructions to add a midi event.  But, it appears that I should just place the info in the transform midi events.  Essentially, my skeme was the same, a simple EW track for each instrument.

By all means add this to the discussion!  I'll be working on it over the next day or two.

Thanks again.

Nico EWHS Strings Vn I, Vio,Cello,DBs.artmap Nico EWHS Strings Vn II.artmap 01 - Vlns I.ewi 02 - Vlns II.ewi 03 - Vas.ewi 04 - Vcs.ewi 05 - Dbs.ewi