Wiring/Routing diagram

Harley Dear

I think what the OP is talking about is a routing diagram of how the project's tracks / aux tracks / busses  are currently connected.

There's nothing like that currently within Cakewalk, although it has been talked about within the team. Whether or not it sees the light of day all depends on resources & priorities.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, msmcleod said:

I think what the OP is talking about is a routing diagram of how the project's tracks / aux tracks / busses  are currently connected.

There's nothing like that currently within Cakewalk, although it has been talked about within the team. Whether or not it sees the light of day all depends on resources & priorities.

gotcha, sort of an auto-flow mapper  showing how all the tracks and busses are flowing. the OP example looks like some of the virtual patch synths and effects module generating type. 

it would be handy to see an overall map of how all the tracks, patch points, sends, busses, aux tracks, external plugs, and IO are flowing - for training, troubleshooting, or perhaps optimizing. i wonder if the CbB API could be used to generate something like a data dump => extract all the connections, then imported in the drawing program, layout a bunch of labelled boxes and lines showing the flow from source to output...

15 hours ago, msmcleod said:

Correct! :)

I'm reasonably versed now in signal flow and it was the 'live diagramme' that took my fancy when playing around with Reaper. In other words once you've made all the connections, assignments, patches ( call them what you will ), you make a few clicks and get a digramme of what you've set up. That way it's easy to see the GFU's you've made.

- Harley -

Edited by Harley Dear

8 hours ago, Harley Dear said:

Correct! :)

I'm reasonably versed now in signal flow and it was the 'live diagramme' that took my fancy when playing around with Reaper. In other words once you've made all the connections, assignments, patches ( call them what you will ), you make a few clicks and get a digramme of what you've set up. That way it's easy to see the GFU's you've made.

- Harley -

GFU 👍

18 hours ago, John Vere said:

Didn't you see my post, Here's the diagram he uses in the video which was in the links in his comments section. 

Signal Flow.png

yep, this is the basic flow, there is no dynamically updated version to show what a mess you've (we've) made in your (our) current project ;)

as mark said, it's been requested before but depends on the development resources available

That would solve one of the issues with CbB's routing, which is the hard pairing of outputs. Every single output is paired 1,2, stereo 1 and 2, 3,4 stereo 3 and 4 and so on. That's all fine and dandy until you find a plugin which has, say, outputs 4 and 5 as a stereo pair. With the current layout, it's impossible to create a single stereo track that only contains these two routed left and right.