Silly question about copying markers

Harley Dear

Hi all,

I am having to rebuild over 100 MIDI file backing tracks for our band. The aim is to produce CWP files with multiple track outputs that can go direct to our Ui24R via USB

We're making up a template to enable us to do this with the least amount of bother, but one thing I'm loosing sleep over is how to transfer Markers over from one file to another. Is there a way to 'log' ( for lack of a better word ) or make a copy of just these to place into the new file?

I see there are many things in CbB that you can save or copy to bring up at will for another project. I'm hoping copying the 'Marker List' might be one of them.

Cheers - Harley

Edited by Harley Dear

To copy markers from one project to another:

• Select the source project. If the project only contains markers or the markers extend past the selection use a time-based selection.
  • Using Copy Special make sure Markers is selected
  • Paste into the target project.

It is possible to create a text file containing markers. Markers are MIDI data. One way to create a text file from MIDI data is -

• Save the project containing the markers as a MIDI file.
  • Use MIDICSV to create a text file from the MIDI file. The direct link to the Windows zip is here.
  • Thanks 1

On 1/3/2021 at 4:10 AM, scook said:

• Select the source project. If the project only contains markers or the markers extend past the selection use a time-based selection.

It is possible to create a text file containing markers. Markers are MIDI data. One way to create a text file from MIDI data is -

• Use MIDICSV to create a text file from the MIDI file. The direct link to the Windows zip is here.

I have downloaded the MIDICSV and the other file. How do you use them to extract the marker info?  When I carry out the exe, I just get a blank black page ( sorry, I am not very computer programming savvy )

Create a copy of the project, select and delete all the tracks  (one could work with the original file but a safety copy is a good idea)

Save the project as a MIDI file

At the command line type: MIDIcsv.exe MIDIFilename > csvFilename

Then open the csv file in a text editor or spreadsheet, clean up and format as needed

The link has quite a bit of information about the tools and how to use them.

• 1 year later...
On 1/2/2021 at 10:10 AM, scook said:

I only recently learned something about Sample Rates -the standard default is 44.1Khz.  I did a video scoring competition entry - and did not know that for video the standard sample rate is 48Khz.  I came across the mention of the 48Khz from another post on the forum and as I am looking at doing a new Scoring entry and had done my markers for the points in the video - in 44.1Khz sample rate - I needed to change the sample rate to 48.  That meant setting my sample rate to 48Khz and creating a new project and importing the video into the project at 48Khz - and all that work to get the markers - was in the first version.

I tried the Copy special you mentioned here - and pasted it into the new project - but the timing was off..  My markers were locked in SMPTE and not aligning.

Then I remembered that I had changed the tempo in the original to 96 from the default 120 - and I had done my markers at 120. - I reset the original back to a tempo of 120 - did the copy again - and it worked.    I had to lookup how to select form the start and to the end    ALT+F6   and ALT+SHIFT+F6 respectively - and used the copy special you called out here. 

It did make me wonder about the SMPTE and the TEMPO affecting the alignment on the SMPTE.  That may need to be research for another time.

Your post helped - Thanks

(I tried to use the MIDICSV <midifilename> > csvMidi  but It did not seem to do anything)

On 1/8/2021 at 9:39 AM, scook said:

Create a copy of the project, select and delete all the tracks  (one could work with the original file but a safety copy is a good idea)

Save the project as a MIDI file

At the command line type: MIDIcsv.exe MIDIFilename > csvFilename

Then open the csv file in a text editor or spreadsheet, clean up and format as needed

The link has quite a bit of information about the tools and how to use them.

In addition to this, and not knowing your specific workflow, It could be helpful to create a Project Template (cwt file)  with all the elements you need, markers included, and build from here each subsequent project.

Edited by Andres Medina