Nothing seems to record

Brian H

Question

So I've watched several different tutorial videos on creating tracks, getting started, etc.  But I cannot get anything to actually record.

Here's all I'm doing

1) Dragging in Instrument (SI-DrumKit) and accepting the defaults.

2) Make the track Hot, and click the instrument icon to bring up the drum kit

3) Click the Record button and beat on some drums

4) When I click space bar to stop recording, there is nothing in the clip box.  It's like no audio ever gets through, although you can see the track receiving the audio in step 3.

This is driving me batty.  I've played with many different settings.  Help?!?!

Step1.JPG

Step2.JPG

Step3.JPG

Step4.JPG

8 answers to this question

Just now, scook said:

He is not clicking on the plug-in UI. 

He mentioned using a MIDI controller around 8:13

The plug-in UI is responding to the controller.

Thank you - that makes a ton of sense.  I wish it were clearer in the videos I was following.  I saw three that all did basically the same thing.  Thank you again!!

It is possible to record the audio from the plug-in using soft synth audio recording but it is clumsy and difficult to edit.

MIDI is the way to go.

You can use the PC keyboard (virtual controller) or one of the other methods I describe in my post above until you get a hardware controller. Depending on what you use MIDI for the direct data entry methods I describe above may be sufficient.

BTW, there is no need for a separate MIDI track.

MIDI Clips may be dragged into Track 1. It is an instrument track. They are a combination of a MIDI and audio track pair. Instrument track headers show the MIDI track input and audio track output controls. The track itself records MIDI data or contains MIDI loops. When frozen the track shows the audio clips created by the MIDI data.

Instrument track may be split into their constituent MIDI and audio tracks at any time.

A MIDI and audio track pair routed to a synth may be combined into an instrument track at any time too.