Strange issue with speed/timing etc

SLCustomTrim

Hey Everyone,

Total newb here, so I have a few questions and weird anomalies .

I downloaded Cakewalk today after a few days of frustration with latency issues in Presonus Studio One V5. Plus, I can't use Eventide or Waves VST plug ins 

When I put a backing track on a new track, it's like 5-10 bpm slower than it actually is. The same thing happens when I'm laying down guitar tracks over it. It's like everything is at the right pitch, yet slow. I am trying all kinds of settings and haven't found the magic setting/button so to speak.

This is just for simplicity using a Positive Grid Spark 40 amp via ASIO USB direct into my laptop.

Everything is up to date, and it's not a computer issue ( Intel 8 core i7, 16 GB ram that runs complex video editing software like nothing)

Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I'm about to loose it after 2 days of messing with every setting. 

Thanks in advance

Steve

Welcome to the forum.
The "5-10 bpm slower" problem is possibly a sample rate mismatch. Both the Spark and Cakewalk should be set to the same value.
Is the ASIO setting you're using a true ASIO driver for the amp, or an ASIO driver already on your computer? Or ASIO4All?

Hi Steve, not able to help, just posting because I've noticed a slight drag in temp when I have a full project with a lot of audio tracks and/or plugins. Not sure why, but the tempo seems to drag. I have yet to update to the most recent, so I will try that first.  Like you, the first thing I thought of was maybe I don't have enough PC power or RAM but other than running the minimum required 8GB RAM, my processor is 6 core, so the jury is still out on that for the time being. Not sure if it was a universal bug that got fixed with the latest update, or if it is just an isolated issue still.

If you are just having trouble with loading a pre-recorded audio jam track (wav or mp3) file, and wanting to record a guitar track over it at the tempo of the jam track, you might look for a setting that is called something like "set project tempo to track" or "set project tempo to audio"....someone else here may know where exactly to find it and the proper name. It's likely in the preferences/settings menus somewhere. If I find it I'll re-post it for you.  Also, if you double click on the audio jam track, it should tell you the original tempo of that clip and you can try setting the project tempo to match. HTH

MM