How to Make Your Libraries show up in the Library Section of Kontakt 6

cclarry

Kontakt's quick load feature is probably more useful if you set it up logically using folders and sub folders.

The library pane is good until it gets too full then scrolling through it gets a bit laborious.

That said, I wonder if this would make the libraries show up in Komplete Kontrol's main browser.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Paul Young said:

I have Kontakt stuff distributed on separate drives.  I'd rather do the clicks than this.

As Quickload only creates links to the libraries in its folders it works across several locations.  So if you create a folder "Pianos" you can drag pianos from several different drives to it and it will create the links, you then have all the pianos listed in one easy to locate place. You could have sub folders for, say, Grand Pianos, Electric Pianos, Uprights etc. The big thing is you create the structure that is logical to you and only add the instruments you find relevant.

Things are a bit messier when a library has zillions of NKI files rather than snapshots but its still manageable. Its worth noting that once a instrument is loaded the "next instrument" button scroll through the instruments in the  the original folder.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Sander Verstraten said:

Then what is the best way to get quick access to all the Rigid Audio Libraries? I believe some use  Snapshots and some loads of NKI files.

They all use NKI, some use Snapshots as well.

Edit: look at my next post,  you'll see my 'Rigid Audio' folder in the Quickload left column where mine appear in QuickLoad.
To use the Snapshots there's a song & dance you do once you've loaded that library (sorry don't recall the steps off the top of my head).
Once you load the Snapshots I'm pretty sure you have to save the library (think Ctrl-S works) to keep them there for the next time.

Edited by TheSteven

Here's a quick & dirty walkthrough to using QuickLoad:

49159507_UsingQuickload.thumb.jpg.bcdc7ee7f1a9afa13a690eb703ea826d.jpg

In Quickload you can create folders & subfolders to organize your libraries.
For example in my illustration above I have __Misc Libs and _Percussion to hold assorted libraries.

Edited by TheSteven
  • Thanks 4

4 minutes ago, Tony Carpenter said:

I've never understood why Native can't make instruments they didn't make show up normally. Is it them, or is it the third party companies. Always seemed like it should be something they included in the kit for making the instruments.. lame after all these years!!.

In order to make instruments appear in the panel, you need a license so that you can 'wrap them up'. The instruments that you open from the file browser are like opening up the instrument 'project' that they've been working on.

A very rough analogy would be like a .zip file - you can 'wrap it up' and turn it into a self extracting .exe, or you can leave it as a .zip file (in which case you need a copy of WinZip/7zip/etc. to open it).

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Tony Carpenter said:

I've never understood why Native can't make instruments they didn't make show up normally. Is it them, or is it the third party companies. Always seemed like it should be something they included in the kit for making the instruments.. lame after all these years!!.

It's the 3rd party developers.  They don't want to make the few extra files required, or to make the serial #'s Native Access friendly apparently.

I suspect it is those developers who have paid for the Kontakt Player license who get to have their libraries show up in the Library panel. The nicnt file format is proprietary and producing them is a bit of a grey area. The NI application for producing nicnt files is not available to mere mortals.  See this thread from 2015:

https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/creating-custom-nicnt-for-libraries-illegal.257097/

Just now, Doug Rintoul said:

I suspect it is those developers who have paid for the Kontakt Player license who get to have their libraries show up in the Library panel. The nicnt file format is proprietary and producing them is a bit of a grey area. The NI application for producing nicnt files is not available to mere mortals.  See this thread from 2015:

https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/creating-custom-nicnt-for-libraries-illegal.257097/

Correct, and the cost to developers in order to license their libraries is not cheap. This is one of the reasons most libraries you buy that are compatible with Player also cost a lot more money. They pass that cost on to the customer.  I've noticed more than one free library lately with license keys and a few cheaper ones as well. Pretty crazy they eat the cost since I have an idea what the loss is there.

That's assuming that they're not talking about the graphic on the library tab.  With that some companies 'get it' and have one other don't or don't bother and you get the blank.

Edit: it look like NI is cracking down on lazy developers - I just check Kontakt 6 and all of the registered libraries now have banner graphics.
Another story for the mini graphic in Native Access.

image.png.d67eeaae1470aae48b601f67f175b827.png

Edited by TheSteven

You can do hacks to get your unauthorized library to show  in the library section but there's no guarantee that it'll stay there or work after future Kontakt updates.
I've got the Clara library that the developer modded to show in library section and for Kontakt 5.x  it worked (though it always had an unactivated warning), with Kontact 6.x it shows in the Library section as needing repair and you can't run it from the library section.

Edited by TheSteven

1 hour ago, Doug Rintoul said:

The application I linked above will create the NICNT files, and the cost is only $20...that's how this works!

Edited by cclarry