Cakewalk not recording midi from some keys

Peter Lowe

I've slowly been getting to grips with using my MOXF8 with Cakewalk. Mostly I've been recording and playing audio and playing existing midi files. Tonight I was doing a quick test with midi and noticed a track I recorded wasn't right when I played it back.

After further investigation I seems that midi events are not being recorded from some keys. So I set the MOXF to local control off, armed a midi track and turned echo on in Cakewalk. I then played every note on the MOXF and found that there was no sound for Middle C to F, B flat, and then two octaves up from G to B. All other keys play fine and show on the level meter in Cakewalk.

I've spent hours checking settings on the MOXF and in Cakewalk without finding anything that seems relevant.

Then I shut down Cakewalk and started my old version of Sonar Professional (the last monthly update before it was discontinued) and everything worked perfectly. I've compared all the config settings between Sonar and Cakewalk and again can't see any obvious differences.

Can anyone please think of a reason why this could be happening? It makes no sense to me and is driving me nuts!

Thanks heaps,

Pete.

Do you use Control Surfaces? They can block individual keys, thinking they are for controlling purpose.  Also look at MIDI icon in the system try, does it "blink" when you press these keys? If not, MOX is not sending them or they are blocked outside (unlikely since Sonar is working for you).

Make sure they aren't just failing to play by checking the event list.

Failing too play a midi note has a separate cause.

For that problem you raise a buffer in preferences. Can't remember it, but someone will chime in with it.

Edited by Gswitz

So what you know so far:

the keyboard controller is sending the appropriate MIDI event messsage (otherwise another version would not be able to respond appropriately)

there is some setting in Cakewalk, or in another application that automatically starts with Cakewalk, that is intercepting the MIDI events

the thing to look for here is something that can use your keyboard controller messages to do something other than play a note 
for example the message is being sent to softsynth that is using the notes that "do not work" for some other kind of control under MIDI learn for example

Thanks for the responses.

I had thought about bindings so used "Zap All" in the preferences and assumed I could tick that off the list of potential problems, however Azslow3's response reminded me that I did indeed install AZ Controller some time back to use with Sonar. I'm guessing that this is somehow still intercepting the events in question. I'll investigate further tonight as this seems like a hot lead.

Thanks everyone,

Pete.