Plugin Boutique Virtual CZ

cclarry

Thanks for mentioning this!!  I have been aware of it since the days when it was in development, but now I am ready to stop pulling out my CZs (5000,3000,1) for those rare times when I want to use them.  I just started, but I am finding this a fun tool for playing CZ-like sounds. As an SOS reviewer noted, there are differences between the sound of the real CZs and VirtualCZ; however, I was able to successfully load a number of *.syx presets and tweak them** to sound close to the original (CZ-3000 / CZ-5000).  Unfortunately for my purposes (so far as I can tell), the VirtualCZ cannot do anything with sequencer dumps.  Also, so far I have not been able to get Voltage Modular's mini host to pull up the UI in its editor window. (The parameter list does however populate!!) If anyone else has been successful, please share the secret.  Also, if anyone knows of a plug-in that faithfully reproduces the legendary CZ chorus, let me know. 

So far, I have had no issues converting *.syx banks and loading my presets with the VST2 version in CbB.  There are a few personal favorite tunes from the mid/late '80s I have been wanting to modernize and have always wanted to integrate my CZ sounds.  With some tweaking, VirtualCZ seems like it will help make that happen.  Plus (as a bonus), I can now create totally new CZ-like sounds without having to find a place to setup those metal monsters.

Again, thanks for posting this no-brainer priced deal!

**mostly minor tweaking needed so far

Edited by User 905133
to add "mostly minor tweaking needed so far."

On 1/1/2021 at 7:32 PM, Patrick Wichrowski said:

Arturia's is the closest. This one has little punch and the modulation has noticeable differences. I always use my "Laser Harp" patch layered (tone mix) as reference.

Thanks for the insight on Arturia's version and for the Laser Harp patch.  I have some of my CZ *.syx patches on my current audio PC and have been testing them in VirtualCZ.  Some very unique personal patches work like 90-95%; some work like 15-25%. The synth engine seems to be geared towards bread and butter factory patches. Obviously, Tone Mix and Key Split CZ patches need to be redone.

For $13 USD, it is well worth my while--for the several patches I have resurrected and for creating new patches with a CZ feel. 

On 1/1/2021 at 5:06 PM, User 905133 said:

. . . so far I have not been able to get Voltage Modular's mini host to pull up the UI in its editor window.

Since I mentioned this before, an update for anyone considering getting VirtualCZ for use with VM.  Tonight I was able to get the editor windows to show up for VirtualCZ and Fury 800 by duplicating the mini host that previously didn't display the editor and then reassigning the duplicated mini hosts.  

Edited by User 905133
fixed a few minor typos
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 1/1/2021 at 1:36 PM, Vernon Barnes said:

Not bad, Arturia's is nicer but also an order of magnitude more expensive, so this a a no brainer at this price if you don't have Arturia's.

On 1/1/2021 at 7:32 PM, Patrick Wichrowski said:
On 1/1/2021 at 5:06 PM, User 905133 said:

As an SOS reviewer noted, there are differences between the sound of the real CZs and VirtualCZ;

Arturia's is the closest. This one has little punch and the modulation has noticeable differences.

Just an update: As a low-cost CZ soft synth, Virtual CZ worked well for most of what I wanted it for.  However, I have since gotten into the Arturia  V Collection and really appreciate their modernized CZ V version.  

• Like 3