• AMD A6-5400K APU w/ Radeon HD Graphics 3.60 GHz 
    • 24 GB RAM
    • 64-bit OS, x64-based processor
    • Windows 10 Home
  • Electric guitar

Here's what I want to do:

• Record guitar
  • Use AIR to record drums, bass, keys

I can record guitar and play it back, no problem.  I can hear the metronome during recording and playback ,too. I record a MIDI track and I see the levels bouncing and the little dashes, but I can't hear anything during recording or playback.  I've also tried importing a MIDI track, and I get the same results.  I've tried changing the output on the relevant channels to all of the possible options, and all of the channels are solo'd (see pics ).  I can get various instruments from the AIR in other software (Melodics and Abelton Live).  

What am I missing?  TIA.

image.png

image.png

3 answers to this question

Midi doesn't contain any sound information only note information so that a synthesizer can produce sound. You need to insert an instrument, like Cakewalk's TTS or Studio Instruments (Bass, Drums or Strings).  Then route the output to the inserted synth.  You show the built in Microsoft synth but I don't know if  that will really work inside of cakewalk.

Look for a tutorial or better yet look into the Reference guide for how to use midi and instruments.

You should not need to check ms wavetable. 
in my signature is a link to my web page and I have both video and text based tutorials on using midi.
You don’t list an audio interface which is the most important piece of gear for anyone who wants to record audio to a DAW. 

Edited by John Vere