show me your heart

jack c.

Jack, this song takes me back to my college days when I listened to Todd Rundgren over and over.  I really like the melody and chord progression in this.  Your vocal hits all the right notes, and could even be louder in the mix to put it in front of the instruments.  The only thing that stood out to me was the lack of variation in the dynamics of the keys (mainly) and the song overall.  I think this will be stellar with a few tweaks, but overall, nice writing.

Jack, it sounds like you're playing a MIDI keyboard and all the notes are about the same volume throughout the song.  I'm just saying, differences in volume within the song can create tension and highlights which can give the song "polish".  That is, some sections louder, some softer.  Same goes with singing.  That's just my two cents worth, not necessarily a universal truth.  Still a terrific song.

41 minutes ago, jack c. said:

That's just my two cents worth, not necessarily a universal truth. 

that are worth lotsssssssssss of money in me ears.will use this in coming songs.the other stuff (instruments) apply the same technique?

jack  c.

Dynamics - ALWAYS!!  Helps to create depth in a mix or song.

differences in volume within the song can create tension and highlights which can give the song "polish"

1. please explain how i can achieve this.

2.how can i contact an individual here in bandlab.

3.is there a way i can be notified automatic when someone responds to me statements?

@jack c. Answer to 3 if you put an @ before their user name it should tag them and notify them when they log in to the Forum or if they have set to be notified by email they will be sent an email.

4 minutes ago, jack c. said:

1. please explain how i can achieve this.

There a numerous methods of adjusting the volume which can assist in changing the dynamics. As MIDI Volume/Velocity adjust is such an extensive subject probably worth looking in the reference guide on MIDI Velocity.

If oyu listen to your song all the hits on the cymbals are the same level, volume this would not be so in the real world.  It would also help if you watched some YouTube Videos on MIDI Dynamics.

6 minutes ago, jack c. said:

2.how can i contact an individual here in Bandlab.

If you know the users name you can PM them.

• Thanks 1

If oyu listen to your song all the hits on the cymbals are the same level, volume this would not be so in the real world.  It would also help if you watched some YouTube Videos on MIDI Dynamics.

i just watched some Videos on MIDI Dynamics----------- i never knew what that stuff was before what an eye opener.Wookiee thanks for this fantastic new tool for me and will use on the song i'm recording now!jack c.

"Very" good song and worthy of Any amount of time it will take to fix it. I'm not listening on a stellar system but I'm hearing a good bit of distortion , like some track levels are just too high. Some of the instruments are also crowding the vocals. I hope to hear a remix of this ...   mark 

i use sonar x1   with windows 7    32 bit operating system.and bandlab cw for detailing.

where do i find cal files for me  sonar x1   with windows 7    32 bit operating system?

also i see many times about distortion in me songs.all tracks are below 0,the master buss is in red.could that be problem?i insert eq and buss comp on master buss.

i also hear about too much compression on me stuff.i compress bass,kick,and voice.maybe the squashed sound is from not using cal dynamics?jack c.

@jack c.    An easy way to create some dynamic variation is to have instruments drop out and/or add some reverb so that some seem 'further" back in the "room"....

Having a spot where the vocal is only supported by a "thin" sounding instrument, will make the re-entrance of all them sound bigger and dramatic. Simply having your choruses be bigger/louder than the verses is the main way to get some variety. Creating a middle that's bigger or much smaller sounding will make it stand out from the body of the track, too. 

Using automation to bring things to the foreground (of the listener's attention), like moving the high hats up or down/back, bringing in a certain guitar here or there is always good mixing technique. 

The things to change are frequencies, tonality, arrangement, panorama, depth etc.

have a spot with just bass or something high and ephemeral

have a spot with no bass and another with no drums etc 

have things on far left/right drop out to "showcase the center" or vice versa

Like drummers used to switch to their ride cymbal for the chorus or the bell for the biggest section of the song, use more or busier sometimes and less or quieter in between......  

Michael

Edited by Michael Parson-McNamara

me songs have distortion in them

all of me songs i see track levels at 0 or below but in master buss they are over 0 in red.

i use to much compression

i use compression on kick,bass and voice then master buss has compression.

i enjoy hearing all your comments.so a typical tracking for a song looks as follows.

BUSS 1     1. kick drum with compressor.

2.snare drum sent to an aux with verb.

3.cymbals no buss go to master buss

BUSS 2   4. bass with comp and amp sim.

carvin real guitar with eq and amp sim goes to master buss.

BUSS 3                  5.voice

6. voice

7.voice

all have eq,comp,verb delay,desser,comp.  

all tracks are below 0,the master buss where all tracks end up is in red.could that be problem?i insert eq and buss comp on master buss.thanks.jack c.

Jack , set your instrument bus fader to 0 , turn down "each" track feeding that bus until that bus volume is well below 0db.  like -6 or -8 to start with.  Do this for each bus or any track going straight to master. When all of these sounds are balanced the way you like , your Master bus should be below 0. If your master is clipping turn down your track busses. When I'm done mixing a song my Master bus is around -6 to -8 leaving enough room for mastering.