My First Instrumental

Keith Wilby

Nice! The bass is really coming through. Would love to know what your process is for mixing bass. The entire mix cuts very well in all ranges. I would say you have it cleanly carved out for each part very well. I couldn't tell if the piano parts were hand played. To me they sounded mechanical yet very good and in keeping with pop since it often relies on brief keyboard stabs/chords such as these.

1 hour ago, Starise said:

Nice! The bass is really coming through. Would love to know what your process is for mixing bass. The entire mix cuts very well in all ranges. I would say you have it cleanly carved out for each part very well. I couldn't tell if the piano parts were hand played. To me they sounded mechanical yet very good and in keeping with pop since it often relies on brief keyboard stabs/chords such as these.

Thanks Starise. The bass is the SI-Bass Guitar plug-in ("blown speaker") with a bit of EQ in the pro channel. The piano parts are originally hand-played, but the stabs sound a bit robotic because the timeline takes no account of the natural human error that would occur (in my experience, a player would naturally speed up a tad when playing stabs like that). I might try and put in a temporary tempo increase to see if I can mitigate that.

Thanks for your comments :)

• Like 1

Keith, I like it. It's a very toe tapping and head nodding tune. I was waiting for a solo instrument to come out into the spotlight, like a trumpet or something in a higher range. There's a guitar bit around 2:25 that could have worked, but too short. But that's just my opinion. Great job on this!

-Bjorn

• Like 1

Keith - cool track, i really like it - but I think it is crying out for some vocals!!! I think you could make a spectacular track with some vocals - now this is a personal thing I know as I rarely do instrumentals, but i do think that it would sound fabulous with some!!!!

Great job

Nigel

• Thanks 1